Great White in Alaska!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seakdivers

Reaction score
Here are some pictures taken in the Sitka area (not by me). Evidentally the G.W. bit into a halibut as it was being reeled in, and then bit the swim platform, and circled the boat for a while.
EEEEEK! I thought we only had to worry about sea lions and orcas!!

seakdivers:
EEEEEK! I thought we only had to worry about sea lions and orcas!!

I seem to remember hearing about a GW being killed somewhere near Juneau a few years back.. it was really big, 20' or more. If I remember right, something about about cold water slows their metabolism and encourages growth.

I understand that Great Whites are just about everywhere. Thankfully, SE Alaska has very few and in fact, I don't know of anyone that has ever seen one.

Hopefully, they are just here for the halibut, or salmon.

DrDuktayp

[Uncle Pug Just when I thought it was safe to go into the water!]

Um I guess there is Great Whites in Alaska after all :D

That would mean they are here also. :11:

Cheers
Derek

Hehe... Didn't leave much meat on the halibut for the fisherman. Snooz ya lose!

Way cool... I would have looved to have been there. Every now and then we hook into a hammerhead of good size while going for red snapper. They appear a lot fiercer on the surface than they do while on the reef. I sonder if the same can be said for the Great white. Though, I don't ever recall a hammerhead biting the boat! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom