Great White Sharks Seen Breaching Along SoCal Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've always wanted to see one underwater. (Yes, I'm aware it's probably a bad idea).

Preferably not at LJS though. 15ft visibility and a long surface swim are not good conditions to enjoy the encounter.

Ya know, is it just me, or is that a picture of a Dolphin jumping next to the surfer. Sure looks like one to me. Of course with a healthy dose of media sensationalism :)

Ya know, is it just me, or is that a picture of a Dolphin jumping next to the surfer. Sure looks like one to me. Of course with a healthy dose of media sensationalism :)
That's what Marian and I thought when we saw this report. The video is just not clear enough but it sure looks and act's like a dolphin.

Yup dave, my thought exactly...

With a background in journalism that bugs me to no end...

Edit: Well after looking at the video they MAY be right. I do have a healthy distrust for media reporting though so that biases me somewhat :)

I just had a close encounter with 2 GW off San Clemente :D

close%20encounter%20with%20gws.jpg

Alberto (aka eDiver)

In the stills it does appear to have gills, though. The thing I find odd is that while GWs have been seen breaching many times before, it was to make a hit from below, not for fun. This seems a bit odd and isn't really adding up. The surfer has seen at least 12? Now there's a dozen breaching but only one or two has seen it?

I like this quote from the article: "When you look at them, most of the time they are scared of human beings," said Dominique Aris, an avid surfer in the area." I remember last time I saw a GW in person. I yelled BOO!! I scared him soooo bad he took off fast!!

Ya don't have to swim faster than a great white, just swim faster than your buddy. Old "bear" joke.

Wow I didn't even notice the stills. I still have this weird feeling someone's playing games, just seems odd behavior to me if it was real, though I am by far nowhere near knowledgeable about such things.

Maybe Dr. Bill will chime in with some expert fishology :)

I've always wanted to see one underwater. (Yes, I'm aware it's probably a bad idea).

Preferably not at LJS though. 15ft visibility and a long surface swim are not good conditions to enjoy the encounter.

:D:D I would rather see on from the inside of a cage. I want to do a Great White Cage Dive some day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom