Great Whites in NC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NCSCUBADOOBA

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm planning my first NC dive in July. I live here, but haven't been diving off our coast as of yet. My buddies have been many times, and the last wreck dive there was a Great White mommy shark with her pup. They decided not to enter the water, needless to say.
Any of you seen a great white while diving and you were already in the water?
What about if you saw one circling before going in, would you still dive?
Angela

i think if i saw a great white with a baby, i'd stay the heck out of the water

i wouldn't enjoy that dive anyway

:wink:

that said, probably you'd be ok unless you went and messed with them.

i'm pretty sure it'd move out of the area once you got in the water

(but i ain't testing my theory with no great white)

NCSCUBADOOBA:
What about if you saw one circling before going in, would you still dive?
Angela

For me, my diving would be over for the day. I love to see sharks but I have limits.

A Great White is something I'm not interested in seeing while diving. Wouldn't mind seeing one from the boat but I'm not swimming with it. Probably go to another dive site on the other side of the shoals. I recall the prayer I used to say while diving the Monterrey Bay area in 1989-1990. Please God I don't want to run into a Great White today.

While surfing, I saw a white shark eat a seal at Wadell Creek north of Santa Cruz about five years ago. For the trout fisherman out there, it looked like a trout eating a caddis fly off of the surface-but much, much larger. The shark came up under the seal and exploded on it-lifting the seal up and out of the water before flipping it over and landing on its side.

I caught the next wave in, but I will admit I seriously thought about staying in the water-the waves were PERFECT, there were maybe 5 guys out, and I figured that particular shark wouldn't be that hungry for a while.

A week later, a guy from UCSC got the nose of his board bit off at the same spot.

Don't dive - there will be other dives on other days.

The chance of actually seeing a great white off the NC coast are very slim anyhow.

yeah, there's a few GW's down here in Jacksonville earlier in the spring

I don't know if I'd tempt fate by splashing anywhere near a GDGW. For that matter any shark bigger than two meters would cause me to pause. Whale sharks would be an exception...

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom