Great Whites in NC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious... are there citations to substantiate the concern about being with a great white shark who has a pup? I'm not aware of any, but I'm not a GWS expert (even though I play one on TV).

Generally the great whites here off Catalina disappear as soon as they hear a diver's bubbles (one reason I don't dive closed circuit!). We have them here, but most of the sightings I'm aware of come either from ab and urchgin divers who spent MANY hours in the water, or those watching from boats or shore as they take a sea lion or harbor seal in the water (just had an incident at Empire Landing about a month ago).

While I'm sure that great whites are off the NC coast, large sand tigers are so common on the wrecks that it makes me wonder if there was a mistake in identification. A big sand tiger swimming within a ball of bait fish can look somewhat like a great white. I was in NC earlier this month and took the photo at http://claycoleman.tripod.com/id41.htm These sharks are large and toothy, but they're generally very placid (many have hydroids groing on their teeth from their sedentary nature). Do you think the divers on the boat might have been mistaken? -Clay

dsteding:
The shark came up under the seal and exploded on it-lifting the seal up and out of the water before flipping it over and landing on its side.
Would I get in the water if I saw a GW nearby? Well, let me see...black hood, black gloves, black full wetsuit, black BC, black booties, even a black tank and funny flipper things at the end. I'd probably look just like a seal wearing yellow ScubaPro Twin Jets. Can you spell C-H-U-M? :wink:

Dr Bill, As you know this whole area South of Pt. Conception is a known birthing ground for Great Whites. Occasional sightings here on the mainland are not uncommon ... especially as we approach the summer months. Each year, we usually have a few sightings by surfers here in South OC, especially near and around San Onofre. These sighting usually involve pups, who do not seem to exhibit aggressive behavior toward surfers ... they usually just cruise through the line up before disappearing. They are certainly not the vicious surfer killing monsters that the media sometimes makes them out to be. While the sight of a fin breaking the surface is a little unnerving at first, the appropriate response is to remain calm, keep an eye on the animal, and exit the water at first opportunity. Here's a link to news video of some sightings at San Onofre a couple years back.

mms://63.241.25.246/tv/topstories/20030825_shark_hi.asf

What I'm interested in is whether there are confirmed sightings of GWS pups swimming with adult females, presumably their mothers? I'm not aware of this. Certainly know of the sightings off the SoCal coast of course.

drbill:
What I'm interested in is whether there are confirmed sightings of GWS pups swimming with adult females, presumably their mothers? I'm not aware of this. Certainly know of the sightings off the SoCal coast of course.

Bill, I can't answer for the alleged NC sightings. However, between Aug - Nov 2003, there were several GWS sightings off San Onofre .... some which involved both a large adult and smaller juveniles seen swimming together. There was some speculatiction that the adult may have been a mother and that the smaller sharks were her pups. I don't recall the source of the speculation or if it was even founded on any scientific knowledge of GWS behavior. A documented account of these sightings can be found in Pacific Coast Shark News 2003.

drbill:

I can remember seeing a rather intense looking shot of a female silvvertip with a little pup riding shotgun to one side but haven't seen/heard of any thing like that with the gws

louisianadiver:
While I'm sure that great whites are off the NC coast, large sand tigers are so common on the wrecks that it makes me wonder if there was a mistake in identification.
I doubt there is an identity mistake between GW and sand tigers. Aside from the general shark shape, they really don't look that similar. It's my understanding that the GWs that have been seen off the NC coast are generally following the bluefish schools. The sand tigers are here all the time.

As for being in the water with a GW, I doubt I'd jump in the water with one near the boat. However, if I were in the water and one came around, I wouldn't go racing to the surface. I'd keep my eyes on the shark and base my course of action on what the shark is doing. If it was just cruising through and not paying me any attention I'd probably continue diving (although probably shortening it), keeping an eye on the shark. If the shark were acting aggressive and/or overly curious, I would slowly and carefully remove myself from the situation.

Either way, it's always best to pick a buddy slower than you. :D Wait, I am the slow buddy. :11:

Back
Top Bottom