Greater Vancouver Area Dive Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bcsean:
but the western canada forum is dead as is. I'm always game for a club, maybe it'll help drum up a bit of interest from the locals.

Most of the activity here falls into the Pacific Northwest Orca Bait forum. A club would definitly inject some life into this forum.

If anyone's interested, this past Sat I found an octopus guarding two masses of eggs. Dive was Bird Islet in Howe Sound. Excellent site.

I'm with ya Andrea. I think a more specific club would definitely get interest. I know there are plenty of divers ouside of our area in western canada, but I feel we are probably the ones who dive regularily, and locally.

And I'd have to agree wtih Andrea on OceanPro. Great shop, great staff. There are quite a few good shops though, and it really depends what is nearby for you.

I would be interested. A more regional flavour would be more interesting.

Where are most of the contributors to the Western Canada forum from? Vancouver and Vancouver Island divers? With a couple of contributors from the Sunshine Coast? i.e., what are the benefits of a Vancouver club that we don't already have?

Bill.

SpawnOfZena:
If anyone's interested, this past Sat I found an octopus guarding two masses of eggs. Dive was Bird Islet in Howe Sound. Excellent site.

Whats this site like? Rocks, sand, walls etc...
Also can it be done as a shore dive?

In response to Scubandrea. Yup, I'm in.

If anyone is interested there is a dive trip coming up in Saltery Bay. It is to commemorate the 16th birthday of the mermaid and will be attended by the sculptor Simon Morris. I have no idea how good the diving will be as its my first visit to this area but if enough divers show up it has to be fun.

Link
http://www.discoverpowellriver.com/visitors/specialevents.htm

deepdiverbc:
Whats this site like? Rocks, sand, walls etc...
Also can it be done as a shore dive?
Link
http://www.discoverpowellriver.com/visitors/specialevents.htm

It's a boat dive. And it's more of a low pinnicle than anything. It's got a sandy bottom surrounding boulder-like rocks. It starts shallow, but has the potential for deep. I found the den at 66'. Found a really cute baby bottle sculpin. Lot of great pics to be had. The charter operator is the Sea Dragon.

DeepDiver,
If you don't mind driving into the city I highly recommend taking your Rescue Course from IDC (International Diving Centre). The rescue course through them are always a lot of fun. The community in the shop is warm and full of active divers.

nessum:
DeepDiver,
If you don't mind driving into the city I highly recommend taking your Rescue Course from IDC (International Diving Centre). The rescue course through them are always a lot of fun. The community in the shop is warm and full of active divers.

I have been into IDC a few times and liked the shop but they are a fair distance from Langely. Other shops I was considering were Dive & Sea in New West, Ocean Pro in Surrey, and Great Pacific in Surrey. They are all managed by knowlegeable people but I have no idea what the instructors are like.

Thanks for the referral.

I agree wholeheartedly with Nessum. We just took our Nitrox course at IDC and it was a lot of fun. I can't say enough good things about our instructor, Van. In fact, we were thinking of doing our rescue course at IDC if he was teaching it... deepdiverbc, are you interested?

Back
Top Bottom