GreenForce Flexi-Digi Pack for Photo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blacthorn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I am just wondering if anyone has any ideas about using a fixed light source with a photo camera as opposed to a strobe. I am considering getting the GreenForce Flexi Digi pack, since it also would work as a can. light or simple flashlight.

Are there any drawbacks to using a fixed light instead of a strobe for photography? Or any advantages that would be worth it. The price is rather steep, but for a can light its not that bad actually.

Thanks for any info.

Pros:
You have a flashlight with you at all times.

You have a focusing light on at all times.

Cons:
You have a flashlight and focusing light which must be kept on at all times.

You have a light which is significantly weaker than a strobe.

You have a light which won't be able to freeze motion with a fraction of a second long pulse of light.

Your subject might flee from your bright flashlight.

You might not be able to see your flashlight's illumination pattern in bright shallow water.

I tried your idea, but strobes work better (IMHO).

Get a strobe. That will allow you to freeze images at 1/15 or 1/30. For a fixed light to do that, you would need something incredibly powerful. In fact, some of the most artistic photos are done with strobes with very low shutter speeds, such as 1/8. The photographer pans the photo around the subject. Everything else is blurred. The effects with sharks and turtles are great.

If you do mostly shallow diving, consider using a filter instead. The key word here is shallow. My own experience with filters is to use a high enough ISO to obtain 1/100 or greater shutter speed.

Back
Top Bottom