Greenpeace ship damages reef in Tubbataha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

here's a question raised by someone in our institute:

For damage to a (presumably pristine) reef of 32 x 3 meters (roughly 100
sqm), a fine of P384,000 (US$7000) was levied on Greenpeace by the Tubbataha
Reef Marine Park. This is roughly a value of P3,840.00 per sqm (US$70/sqm)

what's the value of a reef?

how much is 10x more than that, archman?

iris_ice:

Is that a rhetorical question? If not, 10 X 70 = 700 :wink:

The monetary "worth" of a reef varies by country, state, locality, etc... there is no accepted international standard.

Now, if I extrapolate from a formula reefcheck references ($58,000 per hectare for 10% coral cover replacement), full coral restoration would be $58 per square meter.

But this fine new paper by Goreau and Hilbertz has all the information right at hand.
http://global24.fatcow.com/WRR Goreau & Hilbertz 2005.pdf

Using Biorock restoration, costs per square meter run the range of $1.60-$110.00.

Using other techniques, estimates go as low as $1.3 dollars, up to a whopping $10,000. The high values are for Florida, probably the same bloody reef I watched get restored back in '99. Hmmm... I was obviously undervaluing the value of Florida reefs in my earlier posts. One order of magnitude now seems a lowball estimate.

There is a very good explanation of how countries figure out how much to charge, on pp. 399-401.

So... $7,000 seems to be quite a bargain for the Phillipine government!

Iris, what agency do you work for? I see you're in the Phillippines currently. Do you consult with the marine park?

The Kraken:
But I bet that sub had just a weeeee bit better navigational system than the G/P ship
Not really relevant. The seamount the sub hit was uncharted.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Not really relevant. The seamount the sub hit was uncharted.
Rick
I followed that unfortunate incident, also. Here's an excellent reference for the nautically inclined. It paints a very complicated and confusing picture about the way U.S. submarines navigate.
http://www.ssbn611.org/uss_san_francisco.htm

drbill:
I haven't captained a vessel in ages, but I thought there were bow mounted side scanning sonar pods in use. Thanks for the clarification, Rick.
I think we might have a bit of "apples and oranges" here Bill. There are certainly forward and side looking bow-mounted sonars that are designed specifically for either fish-finding or for bottom avoidance - and such a sonar may have been of some assistance here. But even forward looking sonars aren't much good with any speed on the ship - the combination of limited range and lengthy stopping distances mean that ships are frequently having to rely on charts and "known deep water" to avoid grounding.
When I think "side-scan" I'm thinking high resolution sonar used for mapping fine bottom contours - these are almost always towed fish to get them deep enough and far enough away from boat noises to do their job.
Rick

iris_ice:

Hi Iris,

regardles of 10x, 20x, or 30x more than what was given, more money doesn't guarantee better restoration. To me, I'm not as worried about the amount of money given than I am worried about the amount of money that will reach the right people.

@ Archman: thanks for the link to Dr. Goreau's & Dr. Hilbertz paper. I'm definitely saving this for future reference.

chip104:
To me, I'm not as worried about the amount of money given than I am worried about the amount of money that will reach the right people.

yup, our primary concern at this point. will raise it to the one who asked re: value of coral reefs... i'd like to believe that the mighty protectors of tubbataha will make sure it gets to where it should.

This sort of thing happens hundreds of times every day. -Small to medium-sized boats running aground due to weather, lack of decent charts, or stupidity. Usually there's not much damage to the vessel and the local coast guard/ harbour master/marina staff pull them off and they go on their way. The only reason this made the news is the irony factor.

archman:
Is that a rhetorical question? If not, 10 X 70 = 700 :wink:

The monetary "worth" of a reef varies by country, state, locality, etc... there is no accepted international standard.

Now, if I extrapolate from a formula reefcheck references ($58,000 per hectare for 10% coral cover replacement), full coral restoration would be $58 per square meter.

But this fine new paper by Goreau and Hilbertz has all the information right at hand.
http://global24.fatcow.com/WRR Goreau & Hilbertz 2005.pdf

Using Biorock restoration, costs per square meter run the range of $1.60-$110.00.

Using other techniques, estimates go as low as $1.3 dollars, up to a whopping $10,000. The high values are for Florida, probably the same bloody reef I watched get restored back in '99. Hmmm... I was obviously undervaluing the value of Florida reefs in my earlier posts. One order of magnitude now seems a lowball estimate.

There is a very good explanation of how countries figure out how much to charge, on pp. 399-401.

So... $7,000 seems to be quite a bargain for the Phillipine government!

Iris, what agency do you work for? I see you're in the Phillippines currently. Do you consult with the marine park?

good article and good read, thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom