Greetings from Huntsville, AL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

venrii

Reaction score
My wife and I are almost finished with our open water certification, so I thought I'd finally say hi.

We actually decided to finally get our certification out of a desire to work with Space Camp kids at the Space and Rocket Center here in HSV. To give kids an idea of weightlessness, along with other concepts such as pressure, density, mass, etc..., they get the chance to take about a 30 minute dive at 24 feet. While down there, they get a chance to repair a satellite, solve a few puzzles, and perform various other activities. After completing our OW, we'll be going straight into Advanced OW, Rescue, and Teaching Assistant certifications so we can actively interact with the kids.

In addition to working with the kids at Space Camp, we are already planning a few dive trips in places such as Florida and Cozumel.

Scubaboard has been a great resource for me. The info already available on this board is great, and the active community makes it even better. So, thanks for such a great resource available to divers of all skill levels.

--
Venrii

I would encourage you to get your AOW and stop there for a while and just go diving. Taking all those courses one right after the other will not make you a better diver, only diving will do that. After you've logged about 100 dives in different diving situations then go for higher certification levels. You'll find it will make you a much better teacher. JMHO:)

divenut2001

We actually decided to finally get our certification out of a desire to work with Space Camp kids at the Space and Rocket Center here in HSV. To give kids an idea of weightlessness, along with other concepts such as pressure, density, mass, etc..., they get the chance to take about a 30 minute dive at 24 feet. While down there, they get a chance to repair a satellite, solve a few puzzles, and perform various other activities. After completing our OW, we'll be going straight into Advanced OW, Rescue, and Teaching Assistant certifications so we can actively interact with the kids.

In addition to working with the kids at Space Camp, we are already planning a few dive trips in places such as Florida and Cozumel.

Scubaboard has been a great resource for me. The info already available on this board is great, and the active community makes it even better. So, thanks for such a great resource available to divers of all skill levels.

--
Venrii[/QUOTE]

divenut2001:
I would encourage you to get your AOW and stop there for a while and just go diving. Taking all those courses one right after the other will not make you a better diver, only diving will do that. After you've logged about 100 dives in different diving situations then go for higher certification levels. You'll find it will make you a much better teacher. JMHO:)

Ahhh, guess I should clarify. I didn't mean all of those right after another without gaining experience actively diving. That's just the eventual progression that allows us to work with the kids. We are already planning several trips to some of our instructor's favorite spots here in Alabama and Florida. Along with that, Cozumel is high on our list, and of course, frequent dives at local quarries and whatnot.

--
Venrii

venrii:
Ahhh, guess I should clarify. I didn't mean all of those right after another without gaining experience actively diving. That's just the eventual progression that allows us to work with the kids. We are already planning several trips to some of our instructor's favorite spots here in Alabama and Florida. Along with that, Cozumel is high on our list, and of course, frequent dives at local quarries and whatnot.

--
Venrii

That's great,

I've seen scuba shops entice new students to take one course right after another right through Dive Master and Instructor, making it very profitable for the dive shop. It sounded like you were getting sucked in to do just that. When your in Florida be sure to dive the "Duane" wreck in Key Largo it's "awesome"! Good Luck and Happy Diving:)

divenut2001

There is a mode of thinking that it isn't such a bad thing to do OW, AOW and Rescue back to back, I can't remember which thread it came up in, search around a bit and I'am sure you'll find it.

If i've got this right you can't transfer from PADI to BSAC ,without additional traning, until you have completed rescue.

But without a doubt experience is the key :wink:

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

don

:D

Back
Top Bottom