Greetings From Northern California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nesher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings! Well I finally completed my OW Certification last weekend in Monterey. We actually started the process at Stillwater Cove two weekends ago. That was an experience in itself.

On Saturday, after the Site Survey of Stillwater, my instructor decided not to dive there and we relocated to Timber Cove. Where the water conditions were probably the best on the Northern California Coast at the time.

What an experience, since non of us had actually dived before we were ignorant of the norm and was just excited about getting the Certification completed. Anyways, the first three dive was in what we later came to know as the worse conditions we probably would ever dive in again. Literally, we couldn't see our hands if we extended them out from in front of us. I was kneeling on the botton at 16ft and I couldn't see the ocean floor.

On Sunday my dive buddy and I went up and down the coast to survey sites and get a bead on the conditions. What we saw that morning was enough for me to believe it was not the right day. Two rescue attempts involoving the coast guard were already underway at 9:00 am, one a fatality.

After checking in, our instructor went out to survey the conditions and after a hour returned to inform us that we would not be getting the certifications on that day, the conditions were too bad.

I write this to tell you, I may not have known how severe the conditions were on the first Saturday, but, I and my class mates trusted our instructor and this guy never has let us down.

He really understood our composition and make up and really gave us the type of assurance that I hope every student should have. This guy inspired me to such and extent that I'm setting my goals and plans upon becoming an instructor. Hopefully I'll get mentored by this guy (Harry Greenstreet) and be able to instill this type of confidence in my students as well.

The following week, we headed down to Monterey Breakwater and on Sunday of last week I completed my OW requirements and am now good to go. All went well, other than an uncontrolled ascent from 45 ft which I'm still unhappy about, which just happen to occur during my emergency ascent drill. Can you believe that?

Well, I'm absolutely fine, but do not ever want to replay that event again. Could be very dangerous. What I loved was doing my fifth navigation drill dive where we had to go out on our own and return w/instructors following behind us. My dive buddy Ash, is what you call one of the great guys w/ the understanding of what it means to be a dive buddy.

My experience at this point was such that all I want to do it dive every day. I see my self actually diving in my sleep every single night. I hate to admit it,but, I'm consumed w/ Diving. I always wanted to do it, but now that I have, I could kick myself for waiting so long.

Two things, If you want to do it, Just do it. And two if you don't have the kind of instructor that makes you want to get wet. Find one that does and do all the diving you can with that person until they get sick of you.

I'm going to have many stories to tell. I'm searching for dive buddy in this neck of the woods who loves to train. I mean LOVES To TRAIN. if anyone is out there. Shout it out!

Welcome to the board and Congrats on the certification - sounded like a real adventure.. Check out the california forum on here to find some divers near you!

Hey Nesher,
Glad to hear you are OK, learn from it and welcome to :sblogo:, great place to talk scuba, good or bad.

Welcome to the 'board and to SCUBA!
Now that you got your c-card check out your local dive forum
check this out
Here you will find like-minded future buddies and many more good experiances to come. Dive safe and enjoy!

Welcome to :sblogo:
:wave-smil :wave-smil
:chicken:

Hello Nesher. Welcome to Scubaboard. Good to have you around. Enjoy the forum. This is a great place to ask questions and look for the answers. There are a lot of helpful divers and instructors here.

Hello from another North Coast diver. Our club cancelled diving that weekend because of the conditions, but we dove Still Water Cove on Saturday the 12th and the vis was 20 feet with no surge. By the afternoon the conditions changed as it was windy. Welcome to diving the North Coast! Be careful and ask questions about the dive sites. Also feel free to come out and dive with our group...web address is in sig.

smilies-41093.png

Wow - quite a story. Be sure to check out your local dive club here...

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Always good to try a Search before starting a new thread, tho :search: - click here for Search help, and be careful about posting Threads & Replies before reading the Sticky threads at the tops of most forums. PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom