Greetings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kgault

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Greetings All,

I lurked here a bit in December after our XO (NEDU) started up an account for our unit. I am a bit reluctant to post under the NEDU moniker as some may take what is said to be an official communication. I have been a regular reader, but infrequent poster on The Deco Stop, and the Cavers Forum for years.

I started off my diving in 88 in the balmy Northern waters off the Maine and New Hampshire coast (driving down from Canada), and continued to dive mostly in the St Lawrence river. I ended up getting my dive master cert to help out with classes.

While at school, I was able to get a work term for the Canadian Experimental Diving Unit and the hook for diving research was set. I never knew studying bubbles could be so much fun.

In 98 I got the opportunity to move to Panama City, Florida. I was soon bit by the cave diving bug, and got my extended range and cave certs. Living so close to Jackson Blue that it is possible to dive after work has had an amazing effect on my disposition :wink:.

I spent the first few years in PC crewing a 60ft dive boat (The Prince of Tides), and getting my Instructor card. Becoming an Instructor was probably the biggest mistake I have made as working a boat on weekends has been some of the most enjoyable time I have spent on the water, but I do enjoy introducing the sport to others. I also started taking technician training classes after my first reg overhaul where it was returned to me with the mouthpiece glued on :(

Since my family lives in Canada, I have spent most of my vacation time diving in Canada; I cannot go a week without a dive, so climbing over snow banks in 6F weather to go diving was a necessity. It is amazing the vis you can get on the Gaskin in 32F water. I also had to prove that I had not turned into a warm water wimp.

A couple of years ago I was denied a normoxic trimix fill (Brockville) that got me to go back and take more training. I decided to try the GUE route, and took Fundamentals and Tech 1 last year (Tech 2 is on the schedule for this spring).

Cheers,

Keith

Welcome to the Board.

We have an active group in Florida. You might want to check out the Florida Conch Divers forum in the Regional Travel and Dive Clubs section. Here is a link http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

It's a great way to meet fellow Florida Scuba Board people. I look forward to seeing you around.

Welcome to the Board.

We have an active group in Florida. You might want to check out the Florida Conch Divers forum in the Regional Travel and Dive Clubs section. Here is a link http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

It's a great way to meet fellow Florida Scuba Board people. I look forward to seeing you around.

Thanks for the link.

Do you do much diving up in the panhandle?

Keith

welcome aboard!!
dived the islander in alex bay sunday-water34*crystal clear
wetsuits only
florida is better than that...i guess...
lucky you!!!!

Damn, I knew there was a reason I moved south :wink:

I thought it was cold last weekend diving a 5mm suit in 58F water.

Keith

Welcome to the 'Board, Keith! Good to see another panhandler here. Let me know when you're heading back to JB. I live 10 minutes from there and dive there a few times a week.

Welcome to the 'Board, Keith! Good to see another panhandler here. Let me know when you're heading back to JB. I live 10 minutes from there and dive there a few times a week.

A group of us from PC have been driving up most Tuesday nights for years. Three of us went up this week, and four of us should be there next. We get to the park around 5:15 central, and are descending around 6 pm.

One of our original members has just come back to cave diving, so we are doing single stage scooter dives to reacquaint him with the system.

Our group philosophy is to use the scooters to reduce deco from a swim dive. For most of us, the real portion of the dive is off of the scooter.

What type of diving are you up for?

Keith

We're doing sidemount stage dives. Haven't gotten into scooter diving yet. Mainly because my wife and I both cave dive and the cost of 2 scooters is just a little bit beyond our means right now! Maybe we'll run into each other some Tuesday night.

Back
Top Bottom