Greetings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raposarose

Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I have always dreamed of scuba diving and finally I am going to learn this summer. I live in San Diego This forum seems like a great place to seek advice.

I am in the process of buying gear now. One quesion I have (that I posted in the new 2 scuba section) is whether you would recommend the Ocean Master dry snorkel. I thought about getting it because it was recommended and the mask of that brand fit me quite well. Also, how snug should boots be, like a sock or with a bit more room like a shoe? Finally, are 5mm boots too thin for San Diego diving?

I really look forward to hearing from you and beginning to learn.

Thank you in advance,
Raposa (Fox)

I would hold off on buying any gear until you have spoken to your instructor first. In my class we were told not to buy any gear until after the first class because we covered gear in that class and she told us what to look for in buying gear.

As for the fancy snorkel, I wouldn't buy it, and I can say that cuz I did the same thing and bought an expensice, bulky, fancy dry snorkel. You could poor water right down into the top of it and still breath, but the thing was a pain in the rear and seeing it get dropped into the ocean and now resting in piece at the bottom was one of the happiest days of my life (it was an accident, but a good one). Just buy a no thrills, under $30 snorkel and save your money for diving.

Thank you Wendy. I took your advice and spoke to the instructor at a well regarded nearby shop. I had a feeling that the snorkel might not be prefect for scuba since it doesn't look too streamlined.

Best,
Raposa

You should find lots of good divers in the San Diego area and of course you can always come out to Catalina for clearer (and warmer) water.

After using basic snorkels for many years, I tried one of those "fancy" dry snorkels and found I liked my basic ones better also. Since I videotape on every dive, snorkels have become a bit of a hazard, or at least an impediment, and I often prtefer to dive without them since they get in the way too often.

Enjoy your class... and keep diving afterwards!!!

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom