Gross, disgusting behaviour on the boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because my mask is on my face and I do not take it off my face while in the water. Further, when I am going up the ladder I try to rinse my reg but often do not because I am bobbing up and down in the waves. As such, it all happens once I am back on the boat, that means snot clearing, peeing, etc. That said I do try to be considerate of others. Now if the fish would do the same and not drop trowel in front of me.

In Cayman if you take your mask off on the surface they send a helicopter rescue team. Best to get on board, conserve paper and discreetly send the sometimes bloody mess into the abyss. Besides, fish seem to like it. Now I know why I can't find a dive buddy. Cheers

MMM, Living the dream cannot be rosy all the time. Once in a while, there has to be some hardship involved. :wink:

Geez, given that you're in Cozumel, I thought you were going to tell us about a guy who dropped his wetsuit, hung his arse over the side and let fly with a cloud of "Revenge" stuff...

I dive with a newly-certified young woman (a friend of my wife's) quite a bit. She frequently comments that she has never been involved in a sport which seems to relish in the spraying of bodily fluids quite the way that diving does... snot, coughing up hairballs, peeing off boats, blood from noses and tear ducts (or was that in a James Bond movie?)

Anyway, clearly "snot happens" while diving, but a little discretion when venting is always appreciated by boat mates.

One should also develop a hand-signal or other code to subtlety signal one's Buddy that he/she has a giant loogie spread across his/her face when she surfaces... :yuck:

That's completely disgusting! I agree and have seen a diver do that on the boat deck here in Hawaii where we all are walking around with bare feet...even more disgusting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wives are a great civilizing factor. :wink:

Well, then you should've married the guy. Problem solved, eh? :love:

Reactions: MMM
Of all the things that annoy me, snot rockets are close to the bottom of the list. I don't want them hawked at me and I am sure it wasn't intentional. Now smoking on the other hand is a whole nother thread.

People saying "whole nother" or worse, writing it, definitely makes the list...

In Cayman if you take your mask off on the surface they send a helicopter rescue team. Best to get on board, conserve paper and discreetly send the sometimes bloody mess into the abyss. Besides, fish seem to like it. Now I know why I can't find a dive buddy. Cheers
Really? They send a helicopter team? Or does one constantly hover above dive boats, keeping a sharp lookout for the universally recognized distress signal, the mask on forehead?

I don't think this policy was mentioned among the ~40,000 posts in the epic MOF/MNOF thread. Perhaps we need to reopen that thread until the topic has been thoroughly examined.
:D

So what's so hard about pulling a hankie, tissue, or even a small towel out of your dry bag and using it? And don't give me the "I don't have time" comment. That's one of the first things I do when getting back on the boat....go for the dry bag because I know I need to wipe/blow my nose. Come to the boat prepared to not gross out your mates! Guys love to snort out snot; gals don't and come prepared to wipe their nose with whatever they've brought. MMM, I would've been really grossed out, too! I hope this topic does get into your next edition, Dennis. Manners count even when scuba diving.....so use them! There's a lot of things I have and can get used to in diving, but snot snorting isn't one of them.:yuck:

Hankies, tissues, or what ever. I just got out of the water and my hands are wet. Anything made of paper is going be a waste. I do not get into my dry bag until my hands are dry as I want to keep things dry.

So today after exiting the water I sit down take off my mask and it is full of snot. I breath through my nose and I inhale snot, and immediately horkup up a nice one. Into the water it goes just as another person comes up the ladder. Oops. I head off to the rinse hose to get the rest off. After that I wander up to the bow to take a pee. No one on the boat seemed to object. Though some did cringed at the sheep neutering discussion.

Really? They send a helicopter team? Or does one constantly hover above dive boats, keeping a sharp lookout for the universally recognized distress signal, the mask on forehead?

I don't think this policy was mentioned among the ~40,000 posts in the epic MOF/MNOF thread. Perhaps we need to reopen that thread until the topic has been thoroughly examined.
:D

Yes, the police always circle for your safety.

Besides a tip for the crew, THE most important rule in Cayman is to keep your mask on until the valet service takes it from you as you set restfully on the back of the boat. Cool refreshments and warm towel to follow.

Have you ever Sneezed ? ever quietly slipped a Stinker out in public when there was nowhere else to let it out and then walked away and crop dusted the area ? Ever Pee,d in yer wet suit ?
All must do body functions ,and the girls have to do them just as the boys do.
At least the oyster horker let you see his actions so you would know what was coming your way in the current instead if you possibly picking up an interesting piece of aquatic growth floating by for a closer examination.:D:acclaim:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom