gue accepting certs from another organisation, experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On gue.com site it clearly said that "GUE does not do any crossover instructor training. All GUE instructors must follow the GUE certification and instructor training process". I will assume that the same is applied for other levels. But much simple directly to ask JJ or your local GUE intructor.
For upgrade "GUE-F rec" to "DUE-F tech" I was asked if I feel strong enought for exam only or need more days for training with instructor.
I am not sure that you can directly go to GUE exam, even you have very good dive experience and technic.
GUE (my understanding) is not only technic, but also some ideology (kind of religious) of diving.

I know what fundies is, I have dived with gue divers. they said to me, it is not needed to do the course because of my diving already. I just asked about the experiences and if people have done it. It seems that it is only done by already known people in a gue group, not by outsiders and with this postings it seems that outsiders are not welcome, only by doing a whole course. I just want to know the experiences and can then decide to do or not. But doing a fundies class is not what I am looking for.
incorrect.
you can bypass the course. the reason it is a bit easier for people already diving with an IE is that they have seen what they need to see in the water already. you will need to arrange some time with an IE to get in the water with you to verify you know what you need to know. it's written right in the standards. you've posted them earlier.

just do what we've told you and you can attempt to crossover

also nobody cares about your bottle rotation. my instructor was happy to see any method that worked and wasn't stupid.

I still can't work out what you want from GUE. If you were to say "I want to take tech2 but think I don't need fundies and T1" then it's easy, hook up with a T2 IT/IE and talk to them. But you're never going to get a T2 card just as a paperwork exercise.

HTH
John

I have in diving some personal reasons about why I want to know about the possibilities to show that I am at a several level without doing a whole course. It seems that it is forbidden to say that? I just asked about possiblities and experiences from others. Then I can decide to do or not to do. Is that wrong?

I don't know why you can't do that where you are. You can do it here. Where I work you can go into the shop and purchase time with an instructor to work on whatever it is you want to learn. I know other instructors who do the same thing.

If I'm reading correctly, it sounds as though Taliena wants what I see as one of the biggest strengths of the GUE system -- to be an automatically included member on diving to her level, even with people she doesn't know or hasn't met before. That IS an incredible benefit of a system that produces pretty predictable divers. But it is also dependent on a system that trains and trains people to react in predictable ways, and that is one of the reasons that I've been given as to why GUE is fairly reluctant to do what Taliena wants to do.

I did my Cave 2 class with a lovely man from Italy. He had done his C1 ten years earlier, with an instructor who was subsequently dismissed from the organization. He was a fabulous diver -- by far and away the best of the three of us, with the most deep technical experience. But he did not know any of the protocols we are now taught, and whenever we were given a failure in the class, he would not react in the way the other two of us expected. It led to some severe communications difficulties; had we been in a real failure situation, things would not have been handled neatly, and there would have been increased stress and possibly greater gas loss. This really brought home to me the importance of being on the same page. It is not enough to be a good diver; there are lots of people with good trim and buoyancy and kicking technique. GUE is about putting everybody on the same page, and that either takes training or it takes time diving with GUE teams.

I know what fundies is, I have dived with gue divers. they said to me, it is not needed to do the course because of my diving already. I just asked about the experiences and if people have done it. It seems that it is only done by already known people in a gue group, not by outsiders and with this postings it seems that outsiders are not welcome, only by doing a whole course. I just want to know the experiences and can then decide to do or not. But doing a fundies class is not what I am looking for.
You're nuts if you think an IE wouldn't welcome 1-2 days instructor fee of your money. Heck, if you find me a GUE instructor who won't gladly take your money I'll trade you a pot of gold. I think what you'll find is that most people don't want to gamble a 1-2 day checkout fee when they could just take the class for a 4-5 day fee. It has nothing to do with GUE playing favorites.

I worked for an airline until recently. We had fighter pilots from all branches of the service (theoretically the "best pilots in the world") who would fail a lesson or two in training because our airline had procedures that differed than what they were used to. I'd suspect most people who tried to skip fundies/t1 would end up similarly.

FWIW I was full cave and trimix when I took fundies and I don't think I could have tested out of fundies even having dove with GUE staff, Halcyon staff, and GUE instructors quite a bit-- mainly because they weren't teaching when we were diving together, they were diving.

hi Taliena,

Your feeling of restrictiveness is probably due to the local GUE divers you have met. As an organisation, I am sure GUE is always interested to learn from the experiences of others. Given your location (aren't you in the Netherlands), there are a few great options close by. I would recommend contacting either:

-Rich Walker in the UK. He is also Director of Technical Training at GUE, so he may be able to implement your improved bottle rotation techniques the soonest in their curriculum.
-Mario Arena in Italy. He is one of the -I think- 3 people in the world that are allowed to teach the elusive Tech3 curriculum. Given your experience, you may be able to skip Tech2 in the process, saving a bit more.

Please post your experience of the evaluation in the forum, as I am sure there are others interesting in taking this route.

best,
Sebs

He was a fabulous diver -- by far and away the best of the three of us, with the most deep technical experience. But he did not know any of the protocols we are now taught, and whenever we were given a failure in the class, he would not react in the way the other two of us expected. It led to some severe communications difficulties; had we been in a real failure situation, things would not have been handled neatly, and there would have been increased stress and possibly greater gas loss. This really brought home to me the importance of being on the same page. It is not enough to be a good diver; there are lots of people with good trim and buoyancy and kicking technique. GUE is about putting everybody on the same page, and that either takes training or it takes time diving with GUE teams.

Unfortunately there are A LOT of us in this situation. Mostly its small stuff like long hose over vs. under or how they do a valve drill. But gas marking standards have changed too, particularly for 30/30 but also for 21/35 and 18/45 (despite GUE's continual suggestion that they haven't...) Once you add the RB80 or now the GUE CCR things change once again. Things might be "consistent" for some people who are all recently trained by various instructors or all trained by the same instructor (say 5 yrs ago). But the reality is that people need to accept the fact that protocols and everyone responding the same doesn't actually keep you alive. Brains do though.

There is a provision in the standards to have it done by having an Instructor Examiner/Evaluator do a checkout dive with them and evaluate their "Gue skills" is on a GUE pass level and 100% line with proper GUE "Standard Operating Procedures", but I have not personally ever heard of anyone ever being allowed to take a shortcut and bypass classes.

My guess is that if for example a UTD trained Tec2 person wants to move on towards a GUE Tec1 class, the procedures and skills are close enough that it could theoretically be done.

I have in the past told students (mostly other agency tec divers and instructors) who thought they are the cats whiskers and didnt want to "go back to square one" for a GUE Fundamentals class before a GUE Tec1 or GUE Cave1, that if they were to pass my fundamentals class with a "tec-pass" and in flying colors and felt they did not learn anything in the class and their skills are perfectly on par with a tec-pass graduated GUE Fundamentals diver walking into a Tec1 or Cave1 class, I will refund them their money 100%

I have yet to pay any money back to such a student.. in fact, more often than not, those students are the ones who struggle the most in a fundamentals class and end up quitting or with a recreational pass.

If your skills are as good and on-par-perfect as you seemingly think they are, then you would have NO problem sailing through seriously FUN course(s) and build up more experience, which I think is your goal?

trust me, within the GUE System, there are NO shortcuts… thats one of the strengths of the organization. When someone says they are GUE Cave1, Tec1, Cave2 or Tec2.. they REALLY are and they've gone through the class to prove it..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom