GUE Demo Day - SoCal - 10/17 - Free!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for putting this together, esp Karim, Steve, and Bob for taking the time, bringing all the equipment, and being so helpful.

Definitely have a lot to improve and I plan to take at least a primer in the next couple of months. Plus first time I tried doubles which was pretty cool!

Too bad I can't join Bob and the other divers on the Yukon dive tomorrow, unfortunately have to go to Utah/Arizona for work :( this week but have fun and thanks again!

Robert

I'd have gone this time had my email not gone unreturned. C'est la vie.

FYI, the first email I got from Steve went into my Spam folder. I only knew I got an email from him because Karim sent a follow-up email that referenced an earlier email from Steve. I went to my Spam folder, and there was Steve's. So you might want to check your Spam folder...that might solve the mystery.

Anyway...now I'm REALLY bummed I missed it! We didn't even get to go sailing, due to the weather.

I just wanted to say that the DIR community that I've been encountering lately, between last week's event, this demo (even tho I had to miss it :depressed:), and the willingness to answer questions non-judgementally, has completely changed my view. I'm excited about getting started on my own DIR training.

There's still work to do out there on the image, tho. I was on a dive boat yesterday and a couple of us got to talking about taking GUE Fundies, and several divers joined the conversation with the whole "they're too radical...too rigid...a bunch of dive nazi's" kinda stuff. So keep up the outreach, and the softer touch. :kiss2: Change will happen.

FYI, the first email I got from Steve went into my Spam folder. I only knew I got an email from him because Karim sent a follow-up email that referenced an earlier email from Steve. I went to my Spam folder, and there was Steve's. So you might want to check your Spam folder...that might solve the mystery.

I always review the spam folder before I delete it. While the phone IS a wonderful invention, email is just as wonderful. When you read an email, take the 30-60 seconds to respond. On the other hand, you miss a call it's easy to forget to return the call.

Fortunately I have already had great mentorship so I'm not too bummed. Like my buddy buddy says, "I haven't taken a GUE course so I'll just keep diving DIRong." :rofl3:

A chance to go diving with Steve is something that you should not pass up. That's why I'll be waking up at 4:00am tomorrow :D

Ok Eric, now you've done 2 dive on the Yukon with some of the best instructors around, what are your thoughts now!?!

It was great to see you out today, and I'm really hoping that we can sort the logistics with the class in December, I know that will be a riot!

Anyway...now I'm REALLY bummed I missed it! We didn't even get to go sailing, due to the weather.

I just wanted to say that the DIR community that I've been encountering lately, between last week's event, this demo (even tho I had to miss it :depressed:), and the willingness to answer questions non-judgementally, has completely changed my view. I'm excited about getting started on my own DIR training.

There's still work to do out there on the image, tho. I was on a dive boat yesterday and a couple of us got to talking about taking GUE Fundies, and several divers joined the conversation with the whole "they're too radical...too rigid...a bunch of dive nazi's" kinda stuff. So keep up the outreach, and the softer touch. :kiss2: Change will happen.

Thank you Steve, Karim, Bob, and Hollywood Divers for putting on this wonderful event. It was educational and very fun. If anybody is unsure if they should go to this next time... do it!

Steve is most likely better at propulsion technique than he is at emails but his phone works wonderfully.

It is unfortunate there weren't more (non GUE) people aboard the Marrissa today, I'm fairly certain they would have realized that there is only one thing that motivates us to dive. FUN!

Seeing Bob, Steve and Karim out for a fun dive was really inspirational. After 1000's of dives, these guys still love to dive and have fun! Seeing them in the water is a testament to what this training (and a zillion dives) can accomplish!

Thanks to all who made it out today to dive. We shared wonderful vis, flat calm seas and endless amounts of fun. I even got to see a guy in full business attire carry a full doubles set and stage bottle to the boat. Talk about a guy who used a personal day appropriately!

It is unfortunate there weren't more (non GUE) people aboard the Marrissa today, I'm fairly certain they would have realized that there is only one thing that motivates us to dive. FUN!

As one of the two non Gue divers on the Marissa today, I can confirm that the GUE group did indeed have a good time diving the Yukon. Great boat, nice viz, fun folks, Mola-Molas, everyone returned safe, it does not get much better.

Hi Matt,

I received your email with questions regarding the demo day and replied in detail - also sent a second email (to your yahoo address) with info, directions, times, ect., and was looking forward to having you join us but didn't have your phone number to follow up with you. I'm always available on my phone - let me know if you'd like to go dive sometime.

Best,

In case anybody has any doubt about that -- here is a video of GUE instructor Guy Shockey, down in Seattle (at his own expense and effort) to do a GUE intro day, having a ball in the water with local GUE diver Lamont. (Sorry, I don't know how to embed it!)

The GUE demo day was awesome. I was in Bob's group for the pool time! He makes it look sooo easy! I was actually a little sore today from using muscles in ways I haven't before. I was on my bed this morning practicing frog kicks and backward kicks! Go ahead and laugh, but I was trying to figure out what direction my feet were pointed. It is so weird to me.

Back
Top Bottom