Gustav Dalla Valle Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

urmaddad

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a question about Gustav Dalla Valle. Does anyone know what years he lived in Haiti? The reason I ask this question is because I have a film of him diving off the coast of Haiti and would like to date the film.

I have a film also with Gustav Valle in it.He is spearfishing underwater.It is about 15 minutes long.I don't know where it too place.I think the film was made by Healthways in the 50's.They had quite a few diving films for sale back then.I have seen ads for them in dive mags.I know he lived in CT when he first came to the U.S

Hello,

I am Gustav's daughter. He moved to Haiti several years after WWII and was there until 1952 or 53. He moved to the US a few years after the birth of my older sister.

I would love to have a copy of this film. Would this be possible?

Also, I am looking for a copy of a film made of my father by a French director during the time he lived in Haiti. It has Tarzan in the title and won some recognition at the Cannes Palme d'Or film festival. Does anyone know anything about this film?

Bella,
I knew you father Gustav, met him while he was at Healthways.

During that era of diving the diving world was very small and centered in Southern California with the noble art and science of spear fishing as the motivating factor. Your father migrated to SoCal with the Cressi product line where he joined forces with Dick Klein at Healthways and introduced the SoCal fish stickers to the Cressi Spring powered spear gun. I purchased two of them from your father, which I still have hanging in my dive locker.

As you and I realize communication with Gus was some what of a challenge, so much so that as I recall it was Jim Christensen stated that he had to learn "Gustovian" in order to communicate with him. Soon we all were all leaning to translate and attempting to speaking Gustovian.

My last contact with him was at his winery in Napa, California where he had a Japanese wife and a young son. It is rumored that after Gus's passing she sold the winery and moved back to Japan. Can you verify if she did return to Japan?

You father was definitely "One of a KIND."

I think I have a CD version of a 15 or so minute movie of Gus spearfishing with a spring gun in Haiti- do you have it? Would you like a copy? Place a Private Message (PM) to me with you address and e mail.

I am in occasional contact with Dick Bonin- he has had a very difficult year, I suspect he would also like to hear from you and have a chat.

Cheers from CenCal,
SDM

Haiti sun
This is a link to a 1952 newspaper article about Gustav planning to make a color movie in Haiti with a $10,000 budget. I do not believe that it is the above film, which is a short black and white film. Did he ever make the color film, and if so, what was the title?

I have the same short movie but on VHS tape and I mentioned earlier..

This movie introduced Gus to the So Cal diving world and one must assume other parts of the US.

A short time laterm after this film appeared Gus migrated to the US and joined with Richard "Dick" Klein at Heathways bringing with him the distribution rights to the then unknown in the US Cressi products: fins, mask etc and the "Cressi Spring gun." It was a great concept, spring powered, no rubber slings to replace but it had it's problems. After every exposure to salt water it was necessary to stand the gun on end and pour copious amounts of motor oil down the barrel to prevent spring from rusting. Then when you went spear fishing it was necessary to protect you automobile from the oil. However, the mail problem was if you could force the shaft (arrow) down the barrel, the gun didn't have enough power, If you couldn't force the shaft down the barrel then the gun was powerful enough but couldn't be loaded. It was quite a quandary.

Even so I acquired two guns from Gus, used them for a number of years for the small California reef fish..

The memories of times past...

SDM

Back
Top Bottom