H-Valve vs Y-Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"The difference between an H valve and a Y valve is that the Y valve body splits into two posts roughly 90° to each other and 45° from the vertical axis, looking like a Y, while an H valve is usually assembled from a valve designed as part of a manifold system with an additional valve post connected to the manifold socket" Wikipedia, if you trust the reference...

---------- Post added August 28th, 2013 at 05:26 PM ----------

This may help explain the confusion: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dir/239164-h-valve-vs-y-valve.html#post3637960

"The difference between an H valve and a Y valve is that the Y valve body splits into two posts roughly 90° to each other and 45° from the vertical axis, looking like a Y, while an H valve is usually assembled from a valve designed as part of a manifold system with an additional valve post connected to the manifold socket" Wikipedia, if you trust the reference...

---------- Post added August 28th, 2013 at 05:26 PM ----------

This may help explain the confusion: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dir/239164-h-valve-vs-y-valve.html#post3637960

That just confirms what I thought. Both sides are independent in both an H and a Y valve. Most Y valves have the added advantage that the two sides are completely independent with different air paths and dip tubes, whilst there is only one dip tube in an H valve that splits into two separate air paths at the level of the manifold/second valve attachment point.

Jon

Y and H valves are both popular on this side of the pond. Two first stages are used on the backgas on almost all deco dives, and Y valves are 'cheap as chips'. Many different styles and makes are available. One piece Y valves are preferred by many over modular H valves as they have fewer failure points.

Robinets - Robinetterie et accessoires

Jon

All seem to be 25mm threads. Bummer for us 3/4 x14 folks.:(

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

That just confirms what I thought. Both sides are independent in both an H and a Y valve. Most Y valves have the added advantage that the two sides are completely independent with different air paths and dip tubes, whilst there is only one dip tube in an H valve that splits into two separate air paths at the level of the manifold/second valve attachment point.

Jon

I swear I passed on buying an ancient y-valve as it had a single post that controlled both arms. Yes, the newer ones appear to be H-like. Been looking for the old Y, haven't found a pic yet...

All seem to be 25mm threads. Bummer for us 3/4 x14 folks.:(

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

3/4 x14 is as rare as rocking horse droppings here, although it has existed in the past, and the link i gave does have a single valve with a DIN 3/4 neck thread which I think is the correct name here for 3/4x14. The CE standard and preceding NFC, BS, DIN etc standards have specified M25 for many, many years,

Jon

What do you call this valve type? Isn't it also a H-valve, despite not being modular?

din-twin-valve-230-bar-2-fixed-outlets.jpeg

What do you call this valve type?

Strange?

I don't actually know, but I would guess at a Y valve. Just draw lines for the air paths, and it will look pretty Y-ish.

Jon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom