Had my first ocean dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I put on fins in the surf zone I only do so when the waves aren't strong enough to push you on your broad side. I usually put them on when I'm waist deep standing up. I'll then sink myself in the water a little and assume the Figuire 4 position.

If I choose to enter with fins on I usually shuffle sideways instead of presenting my back to the ocean. It's slow but it's makes me more stable to take any oncoming waves.

These things take practice though, just like anything else. I'm sure with a more patient instructor you can overcome this little obstacle.

thanks! you guys are all very helpful <3 x 8643796083409673809

Lupita - Don't be discouraged.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

Come into the NorCal section. Many of us dive Monterey regularly, and many live close by. I'm sure we can get you back in the water and squared away. No yelling - I promise.

i think it would have also been easier if we would have put the fins on then walked backwards into the ocean. instead we walked about 3 feet in and had to put them on and that was so hard. i wasnt able to do it and my buddy had to help. but i guess with practice then id be able to do it that way right?
@LupitaM: Some shore diving locations allow a diver to do that -- don fins on shore and enter the water backwards.
With other shore dive sites, it's much better to walk out past the surf zone and then don your fins.
In my experience, the preferred method to be used is dependent on the dive site. When in doubt, check out what the experienced locals are doing.

At my local dive site, La Jolla Shores (La Jolla, CA), everyone walks in past the surf zone and then puts on their fins. Depending on the tide, it can be a long hike to get to chest deep water -- too far to waddle in fins, if you ask me. Moreover, if the surf is up, it can be helpful to be more mobile (without wearing fins) to duck the waves properly.

Basic OW classes often train at this location. Typically, the students will practice putting on their fins while on dry land. They do this until they can don each fin in 3-4 seconds. Once this is mastered, most of them find it very easy to don fins in the water. Being able to do it quickly gives them more options in case the surf is up.

I know of a couple of DMs who simulate an oncoming wave on the soft grassy area where the students get kitted up. As the "wave" comes, the students are instructed to face the wave and put one hand over their mask/reg while the other hand is holding onto the fins by the finstraps (yet to be donned). Then, the students kneel down/lean into the wave while pointing the top of their head directly into the wave. This action effectively "pops up" the student as the wave washes past and then the student can make progress through the surf zone. This cycle of "ducking waves-popping up-walking out farther" continues until the diver gets past the surf zone...at which point the fins can be donned. Practicing all of this on land makes doing it in the water a piece of cake.

Best of luck with everything...

I'm sorry, but maybe he was right in this case. Maybe you froze and he had to get your attention. My instructor was a pretty good one and patient, but he had to yell at me and my then class buddy several times because we weren't paying attention to him or listen to his instructions.

That's your call to make, but be sure that your instructor wasn't truly patient with you. Instructors have to carry some heavy responsibilities and if they think that you're endangering yourself or not paying attention to them while in open water environment, they may have to be unpleasant.

i truly believe he wasnt paitent enough. i always felt like he would get frustrated with me. and it would bum me out

... This cycle of "ducking waves-popping up-walking out farther" continues until the diver gets past the surf zone...at which point the fins can be donned...
Or...
OmegaFins.jpg

Lupita, I sent you a PM. There are hundreds of instructors out here, don't let one discourage you. The past 2-3 weekends the shore diving here has been marginal, at best, so if it was recent that you experienced this, please try again, some other weekend where there aren't 9-12' swells at the buoy.

My first 50 dives were nearly all shore dives. The only tried and true thing I learned is that you will fall often and it does get better.

In the beginning, I was eager to take on bad conditions and big swell for the experience but later learned to pass on these. I aborted a couple early dives too.

All of this makes you a better diver. Buddy up with some of the awesome divers in Norcal/Monterey and you'll have fun. Also dive Lobos on a good day without terrible swell. You'll get that sense of accomplishment soon enough.

yeah. i think ill definitely look into warm water diving. any places you can suggest?

Lupita, get on a plane and come to the Caribbean. The difference is like night and day. Warm, clear tropical water. So warm you don't need a wetsuit. So clear you'll feel like you're looking through air. Abundant fish life and pristine reefs. Friendly natives who will love to help. And absolutely world class boat diving--just fall in and you're there.

You'll be a great diver in no time!

Then go home and dive.

Sorry to hear your first ocean dive wasn't a great experience. I'm a fairly new diver and just had my first dives at Breakwater, Monterey myself a couple weeks ago. I loved it though.

In terms of your fins, your instincts are actually wrong, g1138 is right. I was with a dive master candidate that told us to put the fins on while on the beach and walk backwards into the water (he got yelled at by the instructor afterwards). My buddy couldn't even get the fins on with high tide starting to roll in and ended up losing a fin as the waves knocked us over. Walking into the water waist deep with the fins off, figure-4 your legs and putting your fins on is the right way to go.

From what I'm told the viz is rarely considered great in Monterey compared to other parts of the world, the water's very cold, but if you can dive here you'll be able to dive almost anywhere else in the world.

Lastly, everyone here has been very encouraging, but don't let anyone pressure you into diving. You need to feel comfortable yourself. If you do and don't give up I'm sure you'll love it. I'm just barely exploring Monterey and already in love, the marine life here, kelp forests (which i'm dying to see), etc, they're truly something special.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom