Haigh conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have a recent report on Haigh conditions? We are heading up for Friday and Saturday. I've heard that there is an alge bloom going on. Their web site is still reporting great vis, but I suppose it's not true. Like to hear from someone who has been there.

Thanks,
Steve

The vis is better during the week than it is on weekends due to dive classes and 100 to 200 weekend divers.
Last weekend the vis was about 10 to 20 ft. on the north west side of the quarry, and better on the east and south sides.
The temp went from a high of 76 degs. on the surface to 55degs. at 47 ft. We didn't do any deep dives, so I can't report on the deep hole.

Jim breslin

Was there yesterday for a couple of dives, vis seemed pretty consistent at about 10-15' on our 1st dive. We stayed on the north end, and the temps held steady between 73-76 F (Road->Trench->Hatchery-Fuel Tank->etc->out @ the road) … I guess I could have just said ”Counterclockwise around the north end”

On the 2nd dive I would say the vis was only slightly better, maybe 15-20’ but we didn’t get much further south than the Flamingo (West Platform -> Flamingo -> Lark -> missed the truck but found the south end of the Trench->back along the south edge of the roadbed). As for temps, there was a distinct thermo-cline at 33-35’ with consistent readings of 61 F below it (down to my max of 40’)

I did note signs of a sulfur layer beginning to form at the thermo-cline while diving south of the road (someone told me that’s a sign of the algae dying, but I could be mis-informed)

Back
Top Bottom