Haigh Quarry - May 9th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what about me? I,m pretty laid back kind of guy though.

:rofl3:

I heard roumers that you guys are crazy. you dont mind a shy conservitive person coming along do you?;-)
Posted via Mobile Device

Only if you bring Ariel along.

Hi all, Sorry for not getting to the thread in a few days. I was in Fort Lauderdale this weekend and did not have internet access except for my phone.

I suggest that we meet at the picnic tables by the pavilion around 8 am and be ready to dive at 9am. Just look for me if you are unsure as to who is who. I am hard to miss with my hot pink twin jet split fins.

I am looking forward to meeting you guys and having a great day of diving. Now is the time to get in the quarry since the vis should be alright even if the water is cold.

Rob make sure you tell us what the water and vis is so we know how to prepare for the water. Weather wise it looks to be sunny but around 60 degrees. Dont forget to bring your lunch so we can make a day of it. I will have some water and I am going to bring my propane heater just in case 60 degrees is a bit cold for us all.

Does anyone know if they allow snorkeling at Haigh?

My daughters (14 & 17) are tagging along, mostly for my older daughter's sake as she'll be doing her OW check-out dives the last weekend of May (at Pearl Lake) and she wants to see how a group lake dive goes down.

They would both like to rent wetsuits (and fins for my 14 yr old) and snorkel a bit while we're under the water.

I believe they do allow snorkeling (saw some people doing that last summer). Looks like some classes are already starting to use the quarry so vis on the shallow side is getting bad. Vis towards the Lark and the truck was maybe 25-30ft early in the day Sat. 5/2 and dropped to around 20 later on.
Surface temps. I think are still in the low 50's so a wetsuit for snorkeling would be a really good idea.

Does anyone know if they allow snorkeling at Haigh?

My daughters (14 & 17) are tagging along, mostly for my older daughter's sake as she'll be doing her OW check-out dives the last weekend of May (at Pearl Lake) and she wants to see how a group lake dive goes down.

They would both like to rent wetsuits (and fins for my 14 yr old) and snorkel a bit while we're under the water.

here is the link to the website Home - Haigh Quarry - The Place for Scuba Diving in Northern Illinois. I think they allow snorkeling but i am not sure how good it will be for them. The vis is so-so and depending on the activity it will only get worse.

Looking forward to the dive and meeting everybody who can come out.

I heard they had just cleaned the platforms last Thursday and that was part of the reason for the bad viz. I was there on Sunday and there were a few classes in the morning and it was pretty stirred up .

Nate

79 with 100' viz!

That is what I had on Fort Lauderdale on Sunday but I know that there is no way possible that Haigh is 79 degrees much less with 100' vis. Thanks for the chuckle though!

That is what I had on Fort Lauderdale on Sunday but I know that there is no way possible that Haigh is 79 degrees much less with 100' vis. Thanks for the chuckle though!

Well I guess not, considering I just checked my computer and 2 1/2 weeks ago it was 43. So maybe 50 by now? Probably 43 by the truck/lark. But hey - you did fine at Gilboa so you'll have no problem here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom