Halcyon and DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... because it works for them. Simple as that. Coincidentally, many of the shops that offer GUE courses happen to be Halcyon dealers ... and like any other shop that offers classes, their students tend to purchase what they are selling.

There's no mandate to purchase any particular brand of equipment, as long as it meets the specifications for the course. Initially, Halcyon was created to meet that spec ... but since then many other companies have offered gear that will also do so, and lots of people have elected to purchase from those other companies.

Unless you're diving with the WKPP, there's no mandate to purchase a specific brand.

... Bob (Graeful Diver)

There is some history here. When DIR first started, there weren't many options for buying that sort of gear, and Halcyon was created. Notice that Halcyon's motto is "Doing it Right." It is also true that GUE (essentially the birthplace of DIR) is headed by the same man who owns Halcyon. There is thus a natural affinity.

Since the first days, a lot has changed, and a lot of different manufacturers now make that kind of gear. You can be a DIR diver without owning a single piece of Halcyon equipment.

John is right. The DIR philosophy was pioneered in part by Jarrod Jablonksi, founder of Halcyon.

I understand. I am not questioning the quality of the gear. I only ask because it seems to be much more expensive.

A few examples....Halcyon uses a cloth like material for their bladders to make them very pinch proof, I think they're the only ones to do that. The scout backup lights have a very tight beam which is hard to find in a backup light. Their pockets are much larger than a lot of what's on the market, come with bungee already in, and a special sub-pocket for wet notes. Their wet notes have a clear spot in the back for deco tables, many don't. Their back plates are bent at the bottom ends to keep them from poking you-- it's annoying on longer dives. Their scooters have a removable prop so you can remove line in the prop underwater. The Halcyon regulators aren't made by Halcyon, but they took the time to choose a reputable company, and the regulators I've had can go 3 years without service, vs HOG/Salvo/Dive Rite regs that have IP creep every 6mo.

You'll notice you don't see a ton of reviews on Halcyon's service. That's because they test their products before they release them. I can tell you when you do have an issue-- Halcyon service is top notch, nearly better than anything else I've seen in the dive industry, with one or two brands on par.

I was telling a diver this weekend who was asking about random brands...It's been my experience that if i buy all Halcyon gear, it works 100% as I need. If I try to get a cheaper brand, 2-3 times out of 5 I end up with issues, either it breaks or doesn't work as well, and it negates the good deal I got on other gear which does work equally as well. Consider the cost of ownership over the life of the product more than the initial cost, and I think you'll find Halcyon is usually cheaper. I've been burned enough by other brands that I don't really shop around much any more.

There are other companies that provide excellent service and only put out quality product, I think DeepSeaSupply is a fine example. Light Monkey lights are, as well. I think the scooters made by Silent Submersion are an excellent choice too.

Unless you're diving with the WKPP, there's no mandate to purchase a specific brand.

... Bob (Graeful Diver)

There is no brand mandate for the WKPP, excluding the RB80. Halcyon and Extreme Exposure (a Halcyon dealer) both do a lot to support the non profit org, which is why members tend to all choose their gear.

I understand. I am not questioning the quality of the gear. I only ask because it seems to be much more expensive.

A few examples....Halcyon uses a cloth like material for their bladders to make them very pinch proof, I think they're the only ones to do that. The scout backup lights have a very tight beam which is hard to find in a backup light. Their pockets are much larger than a lot of what's on the market, come with bungee already in, and a special sub-pocket for wet notes. Their wet notes have a clear spot in the back for deco tables, many don't. Their back plates are bent at the bottom ends to keep them from poking you-- it's annoying on longer dives. Their scooters have a removable prop so you can remove line in the prop underwater. The Halcyon regulators aren't made by Halcyon, but they took the time to choose a reputable company, and the regulators I've had can go 3 years without service, vs HOG/Salvo/Dive Rite regs that have IP creep every 6mo.

You'll notice you don't see a ton of reviews on Halcyon's service. That's because they test their products before they release them. I can tell you when you do have an issue-- Halcyon service is top notch, nearly better than anything else I've seen in the dive industry, with one or two brands on par.

I was telling a diver this weekend who was asking about random brands...It's been my experience that if i buy all Halcyon gear, it works 100% as I need. If I try to get a cheaper brand, 2-3 times out of 5 I end up with issues, either it breaks or doesn't work as well, and it negates the good deal I got on other gear which does work equally as well. Consider the cost of ownership over the life of the product more than the initial cost, and I think you'll find Halcyon is usually cheaper. I've been burned enough by other brands that I don't really shop around much any more.

There are other companies that provide excellent service and only put out quality product, I think DeepSeaSupply is a fine example. Light Monkey lights are, as well. I think the scooters made by Silent Submersion are an excellent choice too.

... Bob (Graeful Diver)

There is no brand mandate for the WKPP, excluding the RB80. Halcyon and Extreme Exposure (a Halcyon dealer) both do a lot to support the non profit org, which is why members tend to all choose their gear.

This is what I was looking for. Thank you. Is there I good online dealer for Halcyon?

I can't really say it any better than Bob or James, but I am a Halcyon fan and was before I switched over to training in the GUE system.

I sent you a PM, Teller. :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom