Halcyon and DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not all of Halcyon's innovations turned out to be good ideas ... I've still got a couple of their stainless steel wing inflators sitting in my "stuff I'll never use again" pile.

I know at least for awhile they were trading the SS inflators for plastic for anyone that wanted to... (years ago, though)

I loved my SS inflator, it was a real precision piece of work, buttery smooth button operation, nice, slow regulated air flow for precise adjustment.

When it began filling my BC on its own ("open the pod bay doors, Hal"), the love faded and I am now back in plastic world with everyone else. If Halcyon could solve the problem I would switch back in a second.

Still have mine and I may have an extra kicking around. If I do it should be one of the "fixed" ones. I'l check next week when I'm back home.

Are there any "fixed" ones? Mine started to inflate my wing in 120fsw. It was very slow and easily manageable during the dive, but don't want a repeat. If they are truly fixed, that is another story . . .

Still have mine and I may have an extra kicking around. If I do it should be one of the "fixed" ones. I'l check next week when I'm back home.
i'll take her if you dont want it :)

i think if you keep them cleaned you dont have issues. especially in freshwater

Are there any "fixed" ones? Mine started to inflate my wing in 120fsw. It was very slow and easily manageable during the dive, but don't want a repeat. If they are truly fixed, that is another story . . .

If I recall the history, there was a problem with a sharp edge on the plunger shaft (or whatever it is called). The "fixed" ones supposedly had this sharp edge smoothed down. There was a marking to tell if you had a "fixed" one or not.

i'll take her if you dont want it :)

i think if you keep them cleaned you dont have issues. especially in freshwater

I'll PM you when I'm home next week.

I had one that I fixed and put on an oxycheq wing. Had great feel and always dropped to the right place.....even after the fix I never felt 100% and used it cautiously. Sold awhile back.

+1 On Halcyon not being the only brand. If you're a new/aspiring GUE-diver and haven't yet learned the pros and cons of various DIR-style brands and/or gear features for this style of diving, Halcyon can be great one-stop shopping.

+1 On WKPP not being brand specific other than that only RB used is RB80. Halcyon/DUI gear has a great track record of reliability on the demanding dives and support done by WKPP. Great support from manufacturer for any issues that do arise.

Info on Halcyon SS inflator recall is here. With pictures showing post-recall SS inflators have a ring on the inflate button fitting and I believe only the post-recall inflators have serial numbers etched into the plastic portion of the inflator. If you still have a pre-recall SS inflator, contact Halcyon, they will support you.

I own at least 9 Halcyon wings of various sizes (and kept in various locations). Only 2 have plastic inflators. All of my SS inflators I exchanged for post-recall SS inflators. I've had more problems with the plastic inflators that see salt water than the SS ones that see salt water. And when I do have problems with an SS inflator, it can be rebuilt*. All the oring numbers/specs and explodeds are in the publicly-available Halcyon inflator manual (kits are/were available from Halcyon). There are no seats to replace in the SS inflator, just orings and loctite.

*Manufacturer recommends these SS inflators be serviced like a reg (= every 6-12 months), when in doubt/lacking equipment-tech experience, follow that interval. Although I know of many SS inflators in the field that have been happy with longer service intervals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom