Halcyon and DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no brand mandate for the WKPP, excluding the RB80. Halcyon and Extreme Exposure (a Halcyon dealer) both do a lot to support the non profit org, which is why members tend to all choose their gear.

Interesting ... I've been told by a couple of different people I'd have figured knew what they were talking about that DUI drysuits were mandated for WKPP ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I understand. I am not questioning the quality of the gear. I only ask because it seems to be much more expensive.

More expansive than other brands, true, but their attention to detail is also 2nd to none.

Also expansive is relative especially compared to other aspects of dive that most of GUE divers do. Take gas fill for example, all of sudden, the one time investment in Halcyon gears isn't that expansive compared to the cost of on going useage of Helium.

Its interesting that Halcyon has removed the term "DIR" from their labeling. It seems that the term has been adopted by a number of other organizations and companies, who market what they now call DIR. It has sort of lost a clear meaning. I guess the Halcyon founders weren't commercially savvy enougth to trademark "DIR", and now they have disassociated from it.

When i changed from traditional gear to "DIR" gear, I stayed away from Halcyon. Buying two sets of everything (for me and the wife) is pretty expensive, and I couldn't justify the cost to myself.
During Fundies I bought my first piece of Halycon gear (just an SMB but it was twice the price of my other ones) because after using one once, I suddenly realised that it is made specifically for this diving style, and was simply far easier to use. The little differences mattered, particularly when learning the skill. Since then i've bought other Halcyon bits and found the same - it works without you having to go through three or five purchases before you get one that works right. So it would actually have been cheaper to just buy it in the first place - lesson learnt.

Interesting ... I've been told by a couple of different people I'd have figured knew what they were talking about that DUI drysuits were mandated for WKPP ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

They're not mandatory. A lot of people on the Project happen to own and dive them, though, because they make a good product that works well for the type of diving we do.

The Halcyon regulators aren't made by Halcyon, but they took the time to choose a reputable company, and the regulators I've had can go 3 years without service, vs HOG/Salvo/Dive Rite regs that have IP creep every 6mo.
I don't think that's a fair statement. I own a bunch of regs, including three Hogs and a Dive Rite that I've had for about 10 years. I haven't experienced IP creep on any of them. The only reg I've ever owned that had that problem was an old MK16, which I still use for recreational travel ... and that happened years ago and not since. I don't own any Halcyon regs ... but I know they're made by ScubaPro.

You'll notice you don't see a ton of reviews on Halcyon's service. That's because they test their products before they release them. I can tell you when you do have an issue-- Halcyon service is top notch, nearly better than anything else I've seen in the dive industry, with one or two brands on par.
Not all of Halcyon's innovations turned out to be good ideas ... I've still got a couple of their stainless steel wing inflators sitting in my "stuff I'll never use again" pile. But, as you say, their service is top-notch. So, with one exception, has been that of every other equipment manufacturer I've dealt with that targets the same market. The exception, in my experience, is Oxycheq.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added January 14th, 2013 at 04:38 AM ----------

They're not mandatory. A lot of people on the Project happen to own and dive them, though, because they make a good product that works well for the type of diving we do.

That I can understand ... the TLS350 remains my all-time favorite suit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't think that's a fair statement. I own a bunch of regs, including three Hogs and a Dive Rite that I've had for about 10 years. I haven't experienced IP creep on any of them. The only reg I've ever owned that had that problem was an old MK16, which I still use for recreational travel ... and that happened years ago and not since. I don't own any Halcyon regs ... but I know they're made by ScubaPro.
My experience has been the exact opposite. Plus with the G250's 20+ year success record, I can find them dirt cheap on Craigslist, get them rebuilt and have a better (in my opinion) regulator for less money.

Not all of Halcyon's innovations turned out to be good ideas ... I've still got a couple of their stainless steel wing inflators sitting in my "stuff I'll never use again" pile. But, as you say, their service is top-notch. So, with one exception, has been that of every other equipment manufacturer I've dealt with that targets the same market. The exception, in my experience, is Oxycheq.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I had forgotten about the SS inflators, but you're right. I would still say their success rate is well above industry average. I agree other manufactures have good service and products too, and specifically mentioned a few of them :)

That I can understand ... the TLS350 remains my all-time favorite suit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Heh, you're more party line than me on this one. I'd never buy another TLS350, mine's been untouched in a box for the last 2 years.

FLX is sweet though.

To be fair, the weak spot in my TLSs are the damn turbosoles. For all the hell I put my drysuits through (fishhooks, sticks, rocks, Brian), I think they hold up ok. They're at least easy to fix when they do leak.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
i saw santi and whites drysuits both in the water at wakulla this weekend. I have dived a pinnacle suit on occasion.
i use salvo and dive rite gear regularly. there is no mandate on manufacturer. but most people can tell what is quality gear and acceptable and what is not

The HOGs (in particular) seem to never have "creep". When they go they go bang all at once. It least that seems to be the consensus amongst my homies.

The SP's pistons creep, which is great for detecting the need for servicing. Assuming you actually check the IP often enough (I don't...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom