Halcyon Eclipse vs. Seaquest Pro Unlimited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nunomix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am wondering whether it is worth to switch my BCD Seaquest Pro Unlimited for a Wing system, specifically Halcyon Eclipse.

My Seaquest Pro Unlimited costed me around 750 USD. I am wondering why is this BCD much more expensive than a Wing system. Is it worth the trade? (By the way, I will be diving wet and dry, lakes and ocean).

What would be the main advantages and disadvantages of each one of these systems?

Thanks.

With a BP you will carry less lead on you belt . Have a fully changable platform for any future needs. Have a system that parts are readily available , will never be outdated and the list goes on and on. Oh ya then there is the part on how much better the Bp/w swims and trims out in the water.
Advantage of the one you own , well if its in good condition you may be able to sell it for half of your money back.

terrasmak:
With a BP you will carry less lead on you belt . Have a fully changable platform for any future needs. Have a system that parts are readily available , will never be outdated and the list goes on and on. Oh ya then there is the part on how much better the Bp/w swims and trims out in the water.
Advantage of the one you own , well if its in good condition you may be able to sell it for half of your money back.

Thanks for your answer. I read somewhere that one of the bad things about the Halcyon Eclipse is that there is only one dump valve on the bottom of the wing. So no dump valve on the top which makes it dump worse.

Any comments?

Two dumps , just like most wings . One on the left side bottom , one on the inflater . Thats all thats needed , they dump just fine.

terrasmak:
Two dumps , just like most wings . One on the left side bottom , one on the inflater . Thats all thats needed , they dump just fine.

thanks once again. I am going to take a look at one tonight. I guess that guy that wrote the review for the wing system was wrong about the dump system. Gladly :)

By the way, what weight system to use then?

Cheers.

Post a link to the review if possible , I would love to read it.

I use the H ACB's , but will be removing them and will only have trim and v weights.

terrasmak:
Post a link to the review if possible , I would love to read it.

I use the H ACB's , but will be removing them and will only have trim and v weights.

Hi. I checked the wing tonight and I guess I did not explain myself properly. I was not considering the valve in the inflator hose. I meant a dump valve in the wing itself on the top. For example, the BCDs normally have one dump valve in the bottom and one in the top right, additionally to the valve in the inflator hose.

The link to the review is below.

http://www.divernet.com/equipment/0104divertests.shtml

Cheers

Yeah, but either of the two dumps on the Eclipse dumps air...how many ways do you need to dump air? :wink:

If you want pockets, a zillion dumps, features, bells and whistles, stick with a BC. If you want a rig that dives the best, helps you to achieve a trim position with minimal effort, and has minimal frills, get a BP/W...it's that simple.

There's nothing "hard" about dumping a wing that has less than 4 dumps...how many could you possibly use at one time? And the right shoulder dump? When would you use it other than descending? Which is what the inflator hose dump is for.

Dive a bit more with your BC for now. If you aren't sure why you need to upgrade, then you probably don't need to. :D

I agree with Humuhu, my first BC was a SeaQuest Black Diamond. It had all the D-rings you could ask for, pockets, dumps, quick releases, and padding, but when I tried a BP I never used my Black Diamond again. When you have a properly trimmed BP it's like your gliding though the water!

Hmmm now what am I going to do with that BC?

nunomix:
I am wondering whether it is worth to switch my BCD Seaquest Pro Unlimited for a Wing system, specifically Halcyon Eclipse.

My Seaquest Pro Unlimited costed me around 750 USD. I am wondering why is this BCD much more expensive than a Wing system. Is it worth the trade? (By the way, I will be diving wet and dry, lakes and ocean).

What would be the main advantages and disadvantages of each one of these systems?

Thanks.

I have been diving a SQ Pro Unlimited myself and just ordered one of Tobin's DSS rigs. Can't wait to get it and start fiddling with it. Don't know what I'll do with the BC either; only about 6 months old.

Back
Top Bottom