Halcyon Infinity System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ozwald

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there....newbie here.

I'm heading down to Key Largo to do my AOW. I am thinking of buying the above mentioned system. When I ran this by an instructor up here he said that it appears as though it maybe difficult to get off in an emergency situation should the need arise. Anyone find this to be the case?

Also, no sternum strap.....does the harness stay in place ?

Are there any other cons you may have experienced with this unit and if so what might those be? Pro's ?

These may sound like silly questions but before I drop "just south" of a $800 I'd like to know what I'm getting.

Thanks in advance !

Hi there....newbie here.

I'm heading down to Key Largo to do my AOW. I am thinking of buying the above mentioned system. When I ran this by an instructor up here he said that it appears as though it maybe difficult to get off in an emergency situation should the need arise. Anyone find this to be the case?

Also, no sternum strap.....does the harness stay in place ?

Are there any other cons you may have experienced with this unit and if so what might those be? Pro's ?

These may sound like silly questions but before I drop "just south" of a $800 I'd like to know what I'm getting.

Thanks in advance !

If sized properly you should be able to get it off even without cutting it. However, if the emergency is so bad that you need to get out to save your life and you cant take it off then Rainer's advice is spot on.

Its an amazing system.

Get it. Go to their site.

Remember, if you have to cut it you can replace the straps for next to nothing.

Is there some reason you think the standard one-piece harness won't work? The Infinity seems to do what it seeks to, but unless you have some specific problem with flexibility, it probably isn't necessary. It would certainly be cheaper trying the standard harness first. As mentioned above, just cut it off in an emergency.

Wide shouldered large males sometimes find benefit with the cinch system. Otherwise, the continuous harness is the way to go IMO. In an emergency, this device will cut through anything like butter. The military uses to slice through kelvar vests...

7 | Benchmade

I carry the Benchmade Hook too, but the sawed off steak knifes are nearly as sharp. Either one will cut off a harness with one swipe.

Is there some reason you think the standard one-piece harness won't work? The Infinity seems to do what it seeks to, but unless you have some specific problem with flexibility, it probably isn't necessary. It would certainly be cheaper trying the standard harness first. As mentioned above, just cut it off in an emergency.

Wide shouldered large males sometimes find benefit with the cinch system. Otherwise, the continuous harness is the way to go IMO. In an emergency, this device will cut through anything like butter. The military uses to slice through kelvar vests...

7 | Benchmade

The Cinch system is a continuous harness system. The only difference is that it incorporates a plate on the back plate at the hip slots that allows the harness to be adjusted in and out on the fly - it helps the harness glide instead of stopping at the two belt slots. It's also easily removed or added later. The rest of the Cinch system are weight pockets, torch and D-Ring harnesses that bolt to the BP so when moving the harness, they stay put. They also have a "easy to adjust" crotch strap that does not seem very easy to me. I've switched mine out for a softer 1.5" strap.

I haven't decided if I like mine yet or not. It's not the Cinch, but the harness/HOG that I am not sure about. It pulls outward on my shoulders causing discomfort in my neck (prior neck surgeries don't help). The LDS has changed the configuration so I now have them crossed behind the back. I have yet to try it this way and probably won't get a chance to hit the pool for about another week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom