halcyon mc + acb + pocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pwl

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hi folks,

i have a new halcyon MC system & am trying to work out whether it's feasible to use both the zippered gear pocket (i have no other storage) as well as the acb12 weight system.

has anyone made this work? at the best, it seems the balance is a bit out of whack between the left & right sides of the acb, given that the pocket takes a lot of space on the right side.

any suggestions ?

The only way I can see the ACB 12+Pocket combo working is if you are incredibly sizable in the waist area and always wear a drysuit w/thick undergarments. The ACB 12lb pocket is looooong and eats-up a lot of waist belt space. Including the attached tri-glide retainer they are 10" (25.4cm) long. Then add another 8" (20.32cm) for the pocket width. Also, the pocket is meant to be on the side closest to the BP. Which would result in exactly what you thought it would, out of whack balance.

So, you can either use smaller weight pockets from someone else, like XS Scuba. Or you can glue or stitch a pocket on to your exposure suit. There's also this option for a thigh pocket---> Dive Rite Thigh Pocket

BTW- Because of their size, I'm getting rid of the ACB 12's and going with a smaller weight pocket. I haven't decided which ones yet, but I'm thinking about these---> XS Scuba weight pocket

I use a pair of neoprene shorts with pockets attached. These will give you all the storage you need with the MC system without affecting your streamlining. The other benefit is that if you change suits you can can have the pockets on any other suit your wear. I don't know if Halcyon in the USA sell them but you can get them from Halcyon in Australia. (I think they are a local product). Below is their web link where you will find a price list and contact info.

http://www.halcyondive.com.au/

thanks folks - sort of what i was fearing :/ happily i don't quite have the circumference to have room for both pocket and weight pouch.

i'd seen the shorts before & didn't like the comfort idea of wearing those with a 2-piece wetsuit: too much neoprene around the groinal region is a bit much for me :wink:

the dive-rite thigh pocket looks like it might be a winner, though.

thanks for the idea, but the trim weights are non-dumpable, so aren't really what i'm after

they're dumpable if they're on your waistband... you could turn them upside down if you're a head-up kinda guy
they're secured by velcro and a pinch clip, it'd be pretty easy to dump them

Back
Top Bottom