Halcyon & Santi's policy: we perform drysuit repairs "even without prior approval"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pay them what you owe them and move on. If you don't like their policies, don't buy from them.

I absolutely disagree and commend the OP on bringing this up.

Like many, many people (I would venture to say the vast majority) would be incensed to find myself in a similar situation. The suggestion by Halcyon that most people would just say thank you and pay up is, I believe, offensive. That they should obstinately stand by such a policy in the face of this conversation is, similarly, offensive.

Diving is an expensive sport, we all accept that. That said, I can't simply afford a random $400 bill I wasn't expecting without batting an eye. I do have a budget. If that budget allows for boot replacement now and, perhaps, a zipper replacement later, well... that's what I can afford, isn't it? If I found myself in the position of the OP... I simply don't know what I would do.

I reiterate my thanks to her for bringing this up so that others might not run the risk of falling victim to the same behaviour.

I think we all know that Halcyon makes some top-notch products. Many of us (myself included) have stories about great customer service. But just because they do a lot right doesn't mean they're immune to doing wrong. And this whole story is one HELL of a wrong.

Halcyon undertook a repair you didn't authorize. When you complained, they ate the cost of said repair.

Maybe Halcyon/SantiUSA have found that, say, 99 percent of their customers LIKE the proactive service and gladly pay, and so they feel they can afford to waive the charge to the other 1 percent who do complain. If so--and assuming they really do waive the charge immediately and not force the customer to dispute it on their credit card bill--then perhaps that's not such a bad business practice from their perspective?

Maybe Halcyon/SantiUSA have found that, say, 99 percent of their customers LIKE the proactive service and gladly pay, and so they feel they can afford to waive the charge to the other 1 percent who do complain. If so--and assuming they really do waive the charge immediately and not force the customer to dispute it on their credit card bill--then perhaps that's not such a bad business practice from their perspective?

Just because a business policy is profitable overall does not make it right. Profitability is not the only metric a customer-facing business should rely on when forming their policies.

Also, just because customers pay for the bill with a "proactive" effort because their drysuit is hostage, does not mean that they like the service. It may mean that they had no other alternative other than to pay for the unauthorized repair.

I believe that Halcyon is being short-sighted here and should change their policy for unauthorized repairs.

Last edited:
OK, I see. You're satisfied with the outcome for you, now it's a public service campaign. Got it.

Halcyon never made me aware of this policy. I don't think people realize that this is their policy because it's just flat out unethical.

If an car repair shop did this, it would be illegal in the state of Florida. Why is this action illegal for the car industry and ok for the diving industry?

The fact that we are even talking about the boundary of illegal vs. legal is a sign of poor customer service. I think potential customers have a right to know about this so that they can avoid situations like this in the future.

OK, I see. You're satisfied with the outcome for you, now it's a public service campaign. Got it.

No, I am not satisfied with the outcome as the issue is not yet resolved with my credit card company. Furthermore, I shouldn't have had to pay for the faulty boot replacement either after they fouled up on the warranty policy but I'm covering that cost anyway.

Regardless, I believe divers should have the right to know if products or services from diving companies are faulty or sub-par.

Isn't it a bit like taking your car in to get new tires and having the shop replace the engine 'because is sounded funny' ?

It's a ridiculous policy if it is in fact any sort of real policy. Chances are, he just spit that out to try and cover a mistake made by someone down the line to see if the customer would buy it. When she didn't, he quickly decided to eat the cost, but doubled down on the "policy" instead of admitting they were wrong and that he was trying to screw her. I'm sure in hindsight he will end up wishing he would've just given her the zipper for free once it was found out to be replaced by mistake. Pretty sad to see that sort of stuff happening at the executive level.

That said, I'm sure there is another side to the story as well.

Isn't it a bit like taking your car in to get new tires and having the shop replace the engine 'because is sounded funny' ?

That is fraud in most states.

Keep in mind I'm just tossing a theory out there or playing devil's advocate.

Just because a business policy is profitable overall does not make it right. Profitability is not the only metric a customer-facing business should rely on when forming their policies.

Profitability is affected in the long term by whether customers continue to perceive what the business is doing as "right," ethical, helpful, etc. So as I said, what if 99 percent of their customers think "proactive service" is just wonderful, and the 1 percent who have objected so far have all gotten their "proactive service" free of charge and thus thought that was pretty wonderful, too? I would like to know if anyone else has complained as you have and NOT had the charge waived? I can appreciate that a business model that includes an expectation of charges being waived on 1% of proactive repairs would be pretty weird and pretty unfair to those customers too timid to speak up, but maybe that's how they see it. Has there really been anyone who was outraged by the proactive service they received and yet did not speak up?

This thread continues: a simple, "we should have contacted you, we will do so from now forward. The Unauthorized charges are waived. We are a quality company and appreciate your comments" this would have been over in two posts.

Back
Top Bottom