Interesting article on U.S. Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Taiwan when you go to the gas station you do not get out of your car. The attendants put in the fuel you ask for. Then when you pay they give you a receipt and often you will be given bottles or water or tissue papers. It is the customer getting tipped. A much better idea.
Many gas companies have customer VIP cards which I don't bother with that get you even a few more items.
This thread is about tipping in US.
What you do/don't in ROC has nothing to do with US and vice versa.
I was in US yrs ago and the tipping culture at the restaurant was a joke but I just had to accept it.

In ROC you parked your scooter on the pavement, make U turn in every junction etc etc. Do that in HK you will get fine + penalty point and then.....

But that is HK. Nothing to do with ROC.

This thread is about tipping in US. I was in US yrs ago and the tipping culture at the restaurant was a joke but I just had to accept it.

No you did not have to accept it you chose to. :)

In ROC you parked your scooter on the pavement, make U turn in every junction etc etc. Do that in HK you will get fine + penalty point and then.....

Yeah funny about that parking on the pavement as that is legal in Taiwan and the pavements are marked where parking scooters is allowed. Park illegally and your vehicle is promptly towed or ticketed nowadays. You also get fined here for illegal u turns. Traffic camera's are everywhere and people can also send in dash cam video as well and they do.

Yeah funny about that parking on the pavement as that is legal in Taiwan and the pavements are marked where parking scooters is allowed. Park illegally and your vehicle is promptly towed or ticketed nowadays. You also get fined here for illegal u turns. Traffic camera's are everywhere and people can also send in dash cam video as well and they do.
It is legal in ROC but not in HK. Did you not understand this.
What is legal or illegal in ROC is none of my business and same as tipping culture in US. There are a lot of things happened in ROC which I found it disturbing but it is none of my business.

It is legal in ROC but not in HK. Did you not understand this.
What is legal or illegal in ROC is none of my business and same as tipping culture in US. There are a lot of things happened in ROC which I found it disturbing but it is none of my business.

Well I am sure HK is a wonderful place to live as is the USA. Still.. imho the US tipping culture is wrong and even many Americans and non Americans know agree with me on this. Lot's of things in life some people find disturbing. That's life.

I find the "I expect a tip just for doing my job" culture in the USA to be very disturbing. Very disturbing :)

Lot's of things in life some people find disturbing. That's life.
Then why are you complaining about the tipping culture in a foreign country.
You should be more concern about the betel nut chewing practice in Taiwan.

There is still 7% of Taiwanese taking it.

It is still the same 17 yrs later.
I have to walk on the street because the pavement was occupied for various reasons.

Been busy, but the issue of foreign workers getting left holding the (tipping) bag regarding expenses stuck in my head a bit. It's worth pointing out a few things...

1.) Not all restaurants routinely involve tipping. Drive through fast food and counter service where you pay, take your food and go usually don't require tipping. Granted, on the counter there may be a tip jar, but it's not expected. Tipping is more the rule when you eat at a sit down restaurant and a wait person takes your order, brings your drinks and food, maybe brings you some rolls, etc...

2.) Even at a sit down restaurant, you may be able to order it to go. This can happen at O'Charleys. I wouldn't feel obligated to tip then.

There are workarounds for dealing with these things.

In Italy for example (and some other Mediterranean countries too), tipping is more common. And there often is a service fee ('coperto') of 1 or 2 euro/person when you sit down. It literally covers some extra service that is needed if people use a table.

I think in Italy this is more the exception than the rule.

In Portugal and Spain tipping assumes that the service is good (not mandatory) and is usually a lower % than in the USA. I would never tip 5-10%.

Another detail is that locally no one tips in the diving industry.

In Portugal and Spain tipping assumes that the service is good (not mandatory) and is usually a lower % than in the USA. I would never tip 5-10%.

Another detail is that locally no one tips in the diving industry.
This seems to be the EU standard then.

Back
Top Bottom