Interesting article on U.S. Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Problem is that I am travelling all around the word (COVID permitting), almost entirely for work. So I NEED to learn about local customs in as many places as possible...
I agree entirely that one should follow local use as much as possible.
However, the phrase about Romans you cite is a bit misleading. Romans were known do to exactly the opposite, wherever they were going, they were imposing THEIR way.
And actually many Romans are still doing this nowadays...
Of course, coming to Rome and not complying with Roman law and usages was even more dangerous.
The situation was strongly asymmetric, so using this phrase (which technically is a correct suggestion for people visiting Rome) for suggesting to comply with local use in places different from Rome is misleading.

Do not believe everything on line.

Dude, at least quote the entire sentence: "Social contract arguments typically posit that individuals have consented, either explicitly or tacitly, to surrender some of their freedoms and submit to the authority (of the ruler, or to the decision of a majority) in exchange for protection of their remaining rights or maintenance of the social order." If English is not your first language, I certainly do not hold this misunderstanding against you. Tacit consent is unwritten, and that's what I'm talking about.

in the case "tipped employees," who are paid an hourly wage below the regular minimum wage. If the customer doesn't pay it, the employer is legally obligated to make up the difference

I never gave any tacit consent. I gave no type of consent at at all. Being ripped off by people who expect to get tips for just doing their jobs is wrong. :) I never read any guide book on traveling to the USA. I just get on a place and go there.

So it is the employers legal obligation to pay their staff wages. Not my obligation to pay some company their employee wages.

This is one of those threads where there will never be convergence. I simply see chess being played with pigeons.

This is one of those threads where there will never be convergence. I simply see chess being played with pigeons.
017367c8ebca01582459e5eef2f9da35.jpg

At the end of the day not every customer is a good one or even a desired one. Two way street.

In Taiwan when you go to the gas station you do not get out of your car. The attendants put in the fuel you ask for. Then when you pay they give you a receipt and often you will be given bottles or water or tissue papers. It is the customer getting tipped. A much better idea.
Many gas companies have customer VIP cards which I don't bother with that get you even a few more items.

In Taiwan when you go to the gas station you do not get out of your car. The attendants put in the fuel you ask for. Then when you pay they give you a receipt and often you will be given bottles or water or tissue papers. It is the customer getting tipped. A much better idea.
Many gas companies have customer VIP cards which I don't bother with that get you even a few more items.
I don’t read a guide book when I go to Taiwan, I pump my own gas and throw chunks of left over pig roast as those that approach my car.

I never gave any tacit consent. I gave no type of consent at at all. Being ripped off by people who expect to get tips for just doing their jobs is wrong. :) I never read any guide book on traveling to the USA. I just get on a place and go there.

So it is the employers legal obligation to pay their staff wages. Not my obligation to pay some company their employee wages.

Stiffed the bartender in the USA after having been served a few drinks?

If you return you may find that your drinks are a little 'watery'. No consent is required, just a short pour.

Stiffed the bartender in the USA after having been served a few drinks?

If you return you may find that your drinks are a little 'watery'. No consent is required, just a short pour.

As I am visiting not likely to be found in any bars for drinks. I don't go out drinking on my dive vacations either so not an issue for me about some bar tender in the USA.

So in your opinion I must tip somebody just for doing their job? Pouring a drink into a glass is part of buying a drink in the first place it is not like some extra exemplary service has been provided. Any bar tender that waters down drinks is just stealing from the customer as the customer has paid for the drink as advertised on the menu. Also with social media any bars that get noticed for watering down drinks tend to lose customers rather quickly.

I don’t read a guide book when I go to Taiwan, I pump my own gas and throw chunks of left over pig roast as those that approach my car.

That is your prerogative. :)

As I am visiting not likely to be found in any bars for drinks. I don't go out drinking on my dive vacations either so not an issue for me about some bar tender in the USA.

So in your opinion I must tip somebody just for doing their job? Pouring a drink into a glass is part of buying a drink in the first place it is not like some extra exemplary service has been provided. Any bar tender that waters down drinks is just stealing from the customer as the customer has paid for the drink as advertised on the menu. Also with social media any bars that get noticed for watering down drinks tend to lose customers rather quickly.

Just an example my friend. Your 1-2-3 pour may become a 1-2 pour after a no tip.

In the USA tipping is part of our business culture.

If you don't tip - stiff the service worker - on return, you likely will receive less enthusiastic service.

On your next trip to the USA tell your service provider you don't tip. See how that works for you if you return.

There is no appetite in the USA for legislation that would change the 'tip culture'. The leading force against the groups that advocate for a 'no tip' business environment? Simple - it is the tipped workers.

Back
Top Bottom