Half Turned Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My LP120's are from a set of twins that had an older OMS manifold, so each valve opens in the opposite direction. Guys on boats always do a valve check when they launch customers - I tell them once quietly before the dive about my tank configuration and not to touch my valves when I'm going in. I also remind them quietly when I'm getting ready to go in off the stern not to touch the valves since they may be turning the valve off depending on which tank I'm using.
I still have had some that just couldn't help themselves - they were the vessel owners so they felt they could still do it. On the second dive, I will loudly offer to cut their hand off if they mess with my life support and then they stay the #### away from my stuff. I can also ALWAYS reach my tank valve if I have to.
Nice twice, then once not-so-nice. I don't suffer fools in the dive industry well at all.

Aha ... yet another reason that if you dive doubles ... you're gonna' die!<G>

I thought that might be the case. I doubt if a full tank will make any difference. This was something we discussed during the design of the Orca Phoenix.

MikeFerrara:
As far as I'm concerned the best practice is to be able to reach your valves.
Amazes me that it is the 17th response before anyone brings up the "right answer."
Sooner of later, whether anyone else messes with your valves or not, you'll jump in with the gas turned off. (If you don't think you ever will you are mistaken, unless you quit diving now.)
Be able to turn it on yourself.
Every year - without fail - there are one or two fatalities from someone jumping in with the gas off or nearly off, panicking and drowning without simply reaching back and turning the gas on.
Valve manipulation used to be a big deal in the OW course. It still should be.
E

Epinephelus:
Sooner of later, whether anyone else messes with your valves or not, you'll jump in with the gas turned off.
I can't say I've never done it... back in my early spearfishing days when a single tank had to last the weekend, we'd always turn the air off between dives. Once or twice :) I had to turn it back on in the water. Another time it happens is when you get to be an "experienced" diver and get interrupted sixteen times by other folks with minor problems before you can get in your own gear and hop in. This is when air can get left off, weights or cameras or spearguns can get left behind... I've heard tell that it's an awful feeling to be doing a back roll and to see your finless feet against the sky :D
Rick

Thalassamania:
Glad it came out OK. The danger is not from turning the valve back half a turn, most of us old timers will never get out of that, now unnecessary, habit.

I've often wondered what the purpose of the half/quarter turn back on the valve was supposed to do. I have yet to get a straight answer as to why it's a recommended practice.

If I remember right, older valves could jam if not turned back.

=Rick Murchison... I've heard tell that it's an awful feeling to be doing a back roll and to see your finless feet against the sky :D
Rick

It is!:11: And it usually only happens once.:wink:

I really hate the giant stride with the sunglasses. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom