halycon VS Light monkey P Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manni-yunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Im looking to add a P valve for this year. Any pro's and Cons to there? I already know that I want balanced - but beyond that Im not sure what to look for in a P valve. Ive asked a few friends for suggesitons. 1 has a DR and likes it, but has had issues. Another has Salvo and has had zero issues.

Thoughts - recommendations?

I will be installing it myself. Looks easy.

The difference is cost? With the LM being cheaper. I have a Halcyon, and the duck bill failed along with the check valve. Halcyon stepped up and took care of it, but their warranty doesn't last forever. At the price they want I am not super happy with the though that it will fail again. If I had to do it over again I would buy an LM mostly due to cost. The only question I would have is flow rate. The Halcyon is known to flow better than most others on the market.

On my CF200 I have a super simple bolt style non balanced, and it has never failed me. $25 for the setup and still works today. Not sure I see a need for a balanced pee-valve.

You dive a lot and don't have a pee-valve? :shocked2:

The only question I would have is flow rate. The Halcyon is known to flow better than most others on the market.

After using a couple of different balanced and non-balanced varieties, I agree that flow rate is definitely a huge advantage of the Halcyon. No more wondering "hmm, is there a kink in the hose?" at the start of a dive.

You dive a lot and don't have a pee-valve? :shocked2:

Yes!! Funny. I have limited my dives to total run times of about 55-60 minutes so it was never a problem. As I am going deeper and longer run times - Its starting to be an issue.

A few years ago I thought the idea of a dry suit was unnecessary. I was happy to dive NJ locally wet. Then I had one particularly cold dive, and as soon as I got in the boat I decided to get a dry suit. That week I bought the DS. My friends all laughed since I tried for so long ot not get a Drysuit. Same thing here - I havent seen the need until recently, but now its a real need.

A quick call to LM and I am sure Corey or one of the crew could answer the difference in flow rates between theirs and others valves.

If there was a simple non balanced valve available that flowed as much as a Halcyon, that would be the one to get. I just have never felt a need for a balanced valve, and have hundreds of dives with both types. Flow is the most important feature to me though, and Halcyon was proven to be the top at the time. LM wasn't building pee valves when I bought mine.

Go to page 2 and order 100 caths once you have confirmed your size. Do not get anything but the wide band. If you don't already learn the term manscape for those hairs that will get stuck in the cath. The love of your life will appreciate it anyhow. If you have oily skin a quick wipe with a alcohol wipe is a good thing. I buy the lense cleaner packets from Costco that then can perform multi uses, and are cheaper than the medical versions.

http://shop.lhbindustries.com/Brows...ily=Rochester+Medical+Male+External+Catheters

For cath sizing you can order a demo pack straight from Rochester, which will come with a cardboard fitting chart, or go to any medical store. You do want them on the tighter side than the looser side. Oh and route the hose in a loop so it goes up from the pee valve down to your...

I've owned and used both the Halcyon and the LM valves, and if I were to buy another one, I'd go back to the Halcyon. Resistance was lower, and the way the urine exits the valve makes it easier to know immediately whether it IS in fact exiting, or whether you are about to get a warm fuzzy feeling inside your suit that you would rather be without.

I have not had a Halcyon duckbill fail, but I've had one of my LM duckbills go, and after taking it apart, I don't think I'll try to replace it. They're really flimsy, and the metal collar that holds them in place corrodes.

This group is talking me into halcyon. I was on the verge of going to NESS and picking up the LM - but - getting urine all ove myself is not my idea of fun - so -

Any recommendations on where to order the halcyon?

There should be a T-shirt... because no matter what brand, all people I know that use a p-valve have at some point in their p-valve time wet themselves unfortunately. With a thinsulate undersuit and staying horizontal in trim you feel slightly cold in the crotch area but not too bad... only when getting out of the water, when your booties fill up... you feel nasty. I won't elaborate any further. :dork2:

Go with Halcyon, the LM are known to not work/plug up, mine was a POS and still is as I have not taken it off and put in a halcyon yet(which never failed me on the 3 previous suits i owned.

regards

Steve

Back
Top Bottom