Hammerheads - what's the deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mesa Nan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just got back from the Galapagos all excited about seeing five hammerheads on one dive, but when I tried to share my excitement with my (non-diving) friends, they were apalled that I'd jump into "shark-infested" waters. They'd read somewhere that hammerheads are dangerous. I'd never heard that from any diver, and just assumed they were something like rattlesnakes: don't bother them and they won't bother you.

What's the real scoop? Has anyone heard any incidents where a diver was attacked by a hammerhead?

I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to recall reading that Great hammerheads could sometimes exibit aggressive behaviour towards divers. But I believe the other species are quite shy...:coffee:

CONGRATULATIONS! It was incredible diving with them wasn't it? Just like any other predator, if you provoke them, are in their territory or food source, or look like their normal food supply, then you can expect some trouble. It is rare for divers to be attacked, and it has occurred more frequently with spear fisherman due to the fact that they have a shark's natural food source on their spear. I have been actively diving with sharks since I took up diving last year, and finished a whale shark/hammerhead expedition with the Shark Research Institute in December. I would recommend visiting their site Shark Research Institute- shark conservation, education, research or the Shark Alliance. They will be happy to give you more information on the global shark attack file and any other information on any species of shark. Just know though, world wide, sharks are in danger of extinction.

Happy Diving with my SHARKS!
Carolyn:sharks:

Ps: Just remember, most people grew up with the movie "JAWS" and from that, the press plays on the populations fears and lack of education on the true nature of sharks. Educate and help to save them if you can!

I looked it up last night and confirmed what I thought. Only the Great hammerhead is considered potentially dangerous to divers...:coffee:

And I think the only reason the great hammerhead is considered potentially dangerous is because of the size it can attain. I have never heard of a diver being attacked by one, or any other hammerhead, for that matter (that doesn't include incidents where some *******king muppet has grabbed hold of one and been bitten as a result – any animal will bite in self-defence, and the numpties deserved all they got).

Mark

Well, be that as it may, I don't think I'll be going up to scratch a Great White under the chin and give him a big ol' hug anytime soon... :wink:

Awww where's your sense of adventure? :D

"Be kind to animals! Kiss a shark!"
Carolyn:sharks:

I had a very close encounter with a Great Hammerhead in PNG. I was diving alone, and he lazily swam to within 4-5 feet of me. He looked big, big around, and with that huge dorsal fin, pretty intimidating. His behavior seemed more curious than aggressive (although I did instinctively curl up into the fetal position) and it was a sublime moment when his head passed and I could relax and watch the other 10-12 feet of him slowly go by. I have read that they are more dangerous in the Atlantic, for reasons unknown. The Scalloped Hammerheads we see schooling are pretty harmless, I think. In Layang-layang, I descended into the path of a large school of them and directly in front of one, who just made a u-turn and found an alternate route.

Thanks - I thought it was something like that. These would've been scalloped hammerheads. I was surprised and disappointed to get that "what are you - stupid?" response from some of my friends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom