Hammerheads - what's the deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ps: Just remember, most people grew up with the movie "JAWS" and from that, the press plays on the populations fears and lack of education on the true nature of sharks. Educate and help to save them if you can!
I reckon it was earlier than Jaws - actually James Bond....

His CIA buddy - Felix Leiter - loses an arm and a leg to a Hammerhead in "Live & Let Die". So blame Ian Fleming! :D

I reckon it was earlier than Jaws - actually James Bond....

His CIA buddy - Felix Leiter - loses an arm and a leg to a Hammerhead in "Live & Let Die". So blame Ian Fleming! :D

I can understand that, but "JAWS" broke box office records and many people stayed out of the water because of the ferocious maneater portrayed in the movie. Ask anyone today what they fear most in the ocean and they will say sharks. Why? "Did you ever see that movie JAWS?" Everyone thinks sharks kill thousands of people a year and most are amazed that it's less than 20 world wide if that many. Again, the press tends to be the worst at propagandizing the idea that there is something bad out there that's going to eat you! Especially if there is an attack or actually an accidental bite! :shakehead:

Happy diving with my beautiful sharks!
Carolyn:sharks:

Although hammerheads are among the largest predatory sharks - look at the size of their mouths. Much smaller than other sharks of a similar size. Hammerheads eat mostly smaller fish and bottom-dwelling animals like rays and crustaceans - they don't tackle really big prey. I couldn't see an average-sized scalloped hammerhead getting its jaws around a human leg!
Besides, they are normally very, very shy. They seem to be easier to approach in schools, when they're a little more oblivious/unconcerned by the presence of divers.

I bite. No, really, I do,

:D

I just got back from the Galapagos all excited about seeing five hammerheads on one dive, but when I tried to share my excitement with my (non-diving) friends, they were apalled that I'd jump into "shark-infested" waters. They'd read somewhere that hammerheads are dangerous. I'd never heard that from any diver, and just assumed they were something like rattlesnakes: don't bother them and they won't bother you.

What's the real scoop? Has anyone heard any incidents where a diver was attacked by a hammerhead?

BTW, I'm following in your (and Darwin's) footsteps this October. Cannot wait!

If Larry get's attacked by a hammerhead, I'll be sure to catch it on video (since I'm the same trip)... :mooner:

remind me to dip his wetsuit in some tuna chum...

Oh, by the way, according to Fishbase (http://www.fishbase.org), scallopped hammerheads can reach a maximum length of 14 feet... VS 20 feet for the Great Hammerhead. That's pretty big in my books! I believe their relatively "safe" reputation has more to do with their shy behavior than their size.

Just food for thought!:coffee:

I would LOVE to see Hammerhead sharks. I think there are the best looking sharks around. (That I've seen.)

I had an aggressive encounter with a Great Hammerhead once. I made a post about it a while back. He came up to just a few feet behind and below us immediately after spearing a fish. On the surface my buddy was yelling "shark shark shark" at me pointing behind and below me (I though he was joking) and I rememeber looking behind me and down a few feet and focusing in on just the hammer portion of his head and I was shocked by its size. The thickness of the fish really gave it a much more intimidating look. Then he started circling extremely fast. It was hard to keep our eyes on him he was circling so fast. You can read about it here. If the boat had not pulled up when it did I'm not sure what would have happened. We have attracted reef sharks in the Bahamas while spearing but the size & behavior of this hammerhead put him in an entirely different league. We were pretty shaken up afterwards.

I would LOVE to see Hammerhead sharks. I think there are the best looking sharks around. (That I've seen.)
Go to Cocos Island and you're pretty much guaranteed to see them. We saw dozens on almost every dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom