Hammerheads - what's the deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had an aggressive encounter with a Great Hammerhead once. I made a post about it a while back. He came up to just a few feet behind and below us immediately after spearing a fish. On the surface my buddy was yelling "shark shark shark" at me pointing behind and below me (I though he was joking) and I rememeber looking behind me and down a few feet and focusing in on just the hammer portion of his head and I was shocked by its size. The thickness of the fish really gave it a much more intimidating look. Then he started circling extremely fast. It was hard to keep our eyes on him he was circling so fast. You can read about it here. If the boat had not pulled up when it did I'm not sure what would have happened. We have attracted reef sharks in the Bahamas while spearing but the size & behavior of this hammerhead put him in an entirely different league. We were pretty shaken up afterwards.

That's when you offer your catch to the sea gods! Nothing like attracting a big fish with a dead little fish. Glad things worked out for you. I will be diving with the SRI in December at the Isla of Socorro. We will be radio tagging scalloped hammerheads to assist in gathering information on their migratory pattern in order to be able to prove that they need more than individual country protection. For all you shark lovers, please support the organizations that are trying to save the sharks and also look into dive expeditions, they need volunteer divers to assist in these trips. I just got back from the Whale Shark expedition in LaPaz Mexico. It was incredible helping with measuring, tagging, and DNA sampling of these young sharks! It was the most incredible experience I have had so far, besides having a reef shark allow me to stroke her (not a feed dive). You will definitely feel like you have done something more than just look at them, you are there to try to protect them! Club Cantamar, Shark Research Institute

Shark Research Institute- Expeditions There are more than just whale shark expeditions, there is white shark tagging expedition at Guadalupe Islands, and of course the trips to Socorro, just give them a call! Club Cantamar, Liveaboard Trips

Happy diving with my beautiful sharks!
Carolyn:sharks:

Carolyn, I'm really sorry, but I have to say something here.:shakehead: First off, let me say that your enthusiasm is great and I agree on the need to educate people and protect the sharks. I love them also and I have no problem with these things.

But... The Shark Research Institute needing volonteer divers? Sorry, but it look more like they need clients! :shakehead::shakehead:

As a Marine Biologist, I'd gladly donate my time and expertise for such volunteer work. But volunteers usually have their expenses paid for in exchange for their colaboration in scientific research projects. They don't usually have to shell out the complete cost of being there (plane ticket, diving courses, meals, lodging, boat fees, etc...). They don't get a salary, but they don't pay for their expenses either. That is what a volunteer usually is.

Now the Shark Research Institute, unfortunately, looks like a way of marketing dive trips (and expensive ones at that) under the cover of "scientific research" (which is probably a childhood dream for over 75% of active divers). If you take a look at the various expeditions... I didn't find very much research activities in there... In the case of the Donsol expedition, it's basically 3 days snorkeling with the sharks, 1 seminar on the sharks, and then off to Puerto Galera for vacation!!!! It seems to me people could book this trip themselves and probaly save some $$$ at the same time! It doesn't seem totally honnest to me that they lure people into thinking they are participating in something special by using the terms "volunteer". I mean the trips seem very interesting, but they should be marketed as just that: dive trips at your own expense. It seems to me that would be more straightforeward.

Now I'm sorry for coming out a bit harsh. It's nothing personal against you. I've just seen several agencies advertizing such research projects and they really seems like bogus marketing ploys to me. I could be wrong...:popcorn:

As I said, I really do think the Shark cause is worthwhile and we need to act. And way to go for being so enthusiastic about Sharks. But I don't really believe in agencies who charge prices like these...

Sorry for the rant, but I needed to say it.:(

Go to Cocos Island and you're pretty much guaranteed to see them. We saw dozens on almost every dive.

Maybe even hundreds :D

Alcyone, July 2006
Alcyone_Hammers2.jpg

Codman,
The President of the SRI is Stan Waterman Stan Waterman HomeRob Stewart Rob Stewart Biography is on the board of trustees. A portion of my trip was tax deductable and my meals were inclusive. Everything I did was with the lead researcher of the Whale Sharks project for Mexico. We tagged 10 sharks, got DNA sampling on 10 and identified 15 total, with 5 being returns from the last season. We also took measurements and identified sex on all 15. All this data is being used in conjunction with multiple countries to prove migratory patterns along with testing if these groups are related only locally or globaly. I know this trip was a bit on the pricier side. But all the work and the experience I came back with was worth the trip. I really do not think their puplicist really explains what all is entailed on these expeditions in print. The reason we snorkeled is the juvenile sharks were on the surface feeding and also they are alot more skiddish to divers bubbles. Each day after we accomplished our tasks we then dove on many different parts of the area around LaPaz. All the proceeds from the trip go back to the SRI. For me, I came away with more than a few pictures, my contact with them will hopefully make a difference in their continued protection. I never felt in any way that my efforts were not needed and looking at how much data Deni had aquired with all her work in Holbox and LaPaz, I felt more rewarded by the entire experience. It definitely was not the touristy dive trip, they say that when you inquire. The work came first and we got alot accomplished. I know more about the plight of the shark populations now than I did going into this trip. But, everyone has a right to make their own judgements. I have the utmost respect for Stan and Rob and have had the pleasure of meeting and speaking with them at length about the organization and what it hopes to contribute to the ongoing fight to save sharks throughout the world. Dr. Alex Antoniou was our group leader and he has been donating his time and expense with the SRI for over 12yrs. What I like best about this trip, it got people involved and we all had an encounter and an intimate experience with the sharks. How many people get to say that? Regardless, if you do not want to participate on the trips, just helping these organizations with their research, lobbying, etc. will help. The SRI is only one of many groups that are out there trying to educate the world on the plight of the shark. But it takes all of us to get out their and do something to help.

Be kind to animals...Kiss a shark!

BTW, I think they like to promote volunteer divers, or more like allow divers to be part of more than just the tourist type of trip. Plus we were given a complete agenda, research information, and what was expected of us before we arrived in LaPAz. Basically I had alot of homework before the trip. I would suggest you get more information from the organization by talking to Marie Levine and maybe base your assessments from that. Thanks so much for your comments.

**Club Canatamar is who provides the boat for some of the expeditions. They also do trips that are not with the SRI and not research oriented. I gave the link to them since that is where you will find the information about the boat and accomadations.

ps. Sorry for the thread Hijack! Gorgeous pic Chris! It had to be a phenomenal feeling to be first hand witness to that!

There have been quite a few hammerheads sighted off Sydney Beaches of late. shame they are never swimming by one of the dive sites when I'm there...

z...

... In the case of the Donsol expedition, it's basically 3 days snorkeling with the sharks, 1 seminar on the sharks, and then off to Puerto Galera for vacation!!!!...

I fear people may not realise just how inexpensive this is. $60 will hire you your own boat for 4 hours in donsol, and after chasing after sharks for about an hour (with 14 encounters) 1/2 a day really is enough.

3 days is a heck of a long time to spend in Donsol, I'd be interested in the cost - but to be honest, am to lazy to bother checking out the research site.

Is it possible to tag alone if you happen to be there? that, to me is volunteer.. I'm there, I see what they are doing.. "Can I help"...

Z...

I fear people may not realise just how inexpensive this is. $60 will hire you your own boat for 4 hours in donsol, and after chasing after sharks for about an hour (with 14 encounters) 1/2 a day really is enough.

3 days is a heck of a long time to spend in Donsol, I'd be interested in the cost - but to be honest, am to lazy to bother checking out the research site.

Is it possible to tag alone if you happen to be there? that, to me is volunteer.. I'm there, I see what they are doing.. "Can I help"...

Z...

I am not sure from a liability standpoint if you can do a tag along trip. But again that is something to be asked of the SRI. Believe me, it was not easy tagging these guys or doing anything else for that matter. We had an ultralight spotter plane since some days it was overcast and hard to see the sharks from the boat. Getting in the water, well since they are young, they would either swim slowly or quickly and you didn't always get lots opportunity to get all the information. We were in groups of 4 with each person having a set task. I could swim much faster with a measuring pole than my dive camera. But again, it all comes down to talking to the organization and getting more information from that. I had an incredible experience and will do it again this year. That is why I shared it and encourage people to get out there and maybe take their diving to another level! We are the stewards of the sea!

Happy diving with sharks!

Maybe even hundreds :D

Alcyone, July 2006
Alcyone_Hammers2.jpg
Nice shot Chris. Yeah, we saw large schools like that, but I didn't manage to capture the image nearly as well as you did.

Sorry to everyone for hijacking this post again.:no This will be my last post, but I felt the need to answer Carolyn.

I understand your point of view Carolyn and applaud you for your passion towards this worthy cause. Don't ever loose that.:coffee:

Your personal description of your experience sounds much more like research oriented activities, unlike the descriptions of the expeditions on the SRI site. Either their publicist is lowsy... Or you were lucky to have priviledged participation in the expedition.:14: As I said before, the description of the expeditions sound like dive vacations, not much more. At best, it's a dive vacation where they would let you help out a bit. Not anything like you described... If this is not the case, they have a serious problem with the message they are trying to get out about their expeditions.

This said, I still have a problem with the idea of being a volunteer... and forking out 4000-5000$ to do it. Even if the profits go to an institution trying to defend a noble cause.:shakehead: It might be a way for them to raise money for their cause... And in some instances (not refering to SRI here), it might be a scam. But nevertheless, volunteers should not be paying, or at least should not be paying much for their work.

This said, I only now realise that on the RSI website, under the expeditions section, they never mention the term "Volunteer" (you are the one who used it), which is what I mainly had a problem with since the expeditions were very costly and this is what provoqued my rant (sorry again about that). I don't really have a problem with the idea of an institute selling vacations with a scientific flavor, as long as they market it like that. And I would consider myself to be on Vacation during such a trip and would: 1- expect to have activities (even scientific ones) planned for me and 2- to not be working my tail off as volunteers often do and is often expected from them. I would consider myself a paying customer and expect to be treated that way.

Anyways, the fact still remains that it is still a worthy cause and I am glad there are people out there working on helping. And that there are passionate people like you who care a lot. I personally think they should colaborate with more universities and research scientists (from universities) which would help them gain credibility in the eyes of politicians and decision makers.

Ok, I've wasted everybodies time more than enough. Sorry again for the highjack!:dork2:

Cheers!:coffee:

Codman,
The President of the SRI is Stan Waterman Stan Waterman HomeRob Stewart Rob Stewart Biography is on the board of trustees. A portion of my trip was tax deductable and my meals were inclusive. Everything I did was with the lead researcher of the Whale Sharks project for Mexico. We tagged 10 sharks, got DNA sampling on 10 and identified 15 total, with 5 being returns from the last season. We also took measurements and identified sex on all 15. All this data is being used in conjunction with multiple countries to prove migratory patterns along with testing if these groups are related only locally or globaly. I know this trip was a bit on the pricier side. But all the work and the experience I came back with was worth the trip. I really do not think their puplicist really explains what all is entailed on these expeditions in print. The reason we snorkeled is the juvenile sharks were on the surface feeding and also they are alot more skiddish to divers bubbles. Each day after we accomplished our tasks we then dove on many different parts of the area around LaPaz. All the proceeds from the trip go back to the SRI. For me, I came away with more than a few pictures, my contact with them will hopefully make a difference in their continued protection. I never felt in any way that my efforts were not needed and looking at how much data Deni had aquired with all her work in Holbox and LaPaz, I felt more rewarded by the entire experience. It definitely was not the touristy dive trip, they say that when you inquire. The work came first and we got alot accomplished. I know more about the plight of the shark populations now than I did going into this trip. But, everyone has a right to make their own judgements. I have the utmost respect for Stan and Rob and have had the pleasure of meeting and speaking with them at length about the organization and what it hopes to contribute to the ongoing fight to save sharks throughout the world. Dr. Alex Antoniou was our group leader and he has been donating his time and expense with the SRI for over 12yrs. What I like best about this trip, it got people involved and we all had an encounter and an intimate experience with the sharks. How many people get to say that? Regardless, if you do not want to participate on the trips, just helping these organizations with their research, lobbying, etc. will help. The SRI is only one of many groups that are out there trying to educate the world on the plight of the shark. But it takes all of us to get out their and do something to help.

Be kind to animals...Kiss a shark!

BTW, I think they like to promote volunteer divers, or more like allow divers to be part of more than just the tourist type of trip. Plus we were given a complete agenda, research information, and what was expected of us before we arrived in LaPAz. Basically I had alot of homework before the trip. I would suggest you get more information from the organization by talking to Marie Levine and maybe base your assessments from that. Thanks so much for your comments.

**Club Canatamar is who provides the boat for some of the expeditions. They also do trips that are not with the SRI and not research oriented. I gave the link to them since that is where you will find the information about the boat and accomadations.

ps. Sorry for the thread Hijack! Gorgeous pic Chris! It had to be a phenomenal feeling to be first hand witness to that!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom