Hand injury and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luca Brasi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am scheduled to go diving while rehabbing a hand injury. I still have some swelling I’n my hand . Assuming a max 100 FSW dive am I safe diving? Can I expect pain and additional pain due to water pressure?

Which hand?

Swelling could be indicative of compromised circulation which could affect gas diffusion. The water pressure is not going to cause pain or increase discomfort (would be some random guy's guess on the internet).

I am scheduled to go diving while rehabbing a hand injury. I still have some swelling I’n my hand . Assuming a max 100 FSW dive am I safe diving? Can I expect pain and additional pain due to water pressure?
What was the injury?

i dont really understand a lot of these "can i go diving with XXXX injury" threads...none of us know your medical history....the best we can do is guess.

check with your doctor/ physical therapist.

i dont really understand a lot of these "can i go diving with XXXX injury" threads...none of us know your medical history....the best we can do is guess.
Especially when we don't know what said injury was/is.

A scratch from a cat? You are probably fine.

Your index finger has just been surgically reattached? I wouldn't risk it.

Ask on Facebook, lots of good doctors on there.

Had surgery this past June due to a severely broken finger (4 fractures and tendon was torn from bone). After the pins were removed and the surgical wounds were healed over I was counselled by my surgeon to avoid diving for a number of months. He did not give me many much of a reason but my background in sports therapy was enough to understand that things like reduced range of motion of my hand, discomfort/pain, possibility of reinjury, etc. could both interfere with the healing process as well as increase the danger of an already high risk activity.

There is a tendency to not think of diving as a high risk activity as it all seems rather routine....until something goes wrong and we realize that we placed ourselves in an environment that by its very nature is hostile to our survival and not all issues that occur are resolved by heading to the surface.

OP, if you cannot answer this question on your own, then discuss the matter with the physician who is treating you and evaluate/heed the advise they offer. As others have pointed out, you have not provided nearly enough details about your situation for anyone to even guess as to whether diving is appropriate for your particular situation, and if even with more information it would still be a guess, as there may be other factors that are unknown to us internet folk that without a thorough medical history and evaluation may contraindicate diving for you at this time.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom