Hand injury and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving with an injury that you are unsure about should be your first clue that there is a risk you do not fully understand.

Pain can be a real distraction and you could conceivably find yourself not paying attention to your surroundings ie hazards. Pain can also contribute to anxiety and there are no shortage of scenarios on this front.

While it sucks to have to pass up on some diving, it is worse still to have to extend your bench time if you miscalculate your recovery.

Take it easy, get well...

Reactions: Zef
A scratch from a cat? You are probably fine.

have you met my cat?

0EEE12A2-85B5-405C-95EE-B2D612A9DDB0.jpeg

Your index finger has just been surgically reattached? I wouldn't risk it.

the thumb, that’s the one to worry about.

Or the pinkie, if you’re a British Royal. That could be a real problem.

i dont really understand a lot of these "can i go diving with XXXX injury" threads...none of us know your medical history....the best we can do is guess.

check with your doctor/ physical therapist.

You read his post wrong, let me translate:

"Hi everyone, I really want to go diving regardless of what my doctor(s) says, so please, you internet people out there, tell me it is fine to go diving and I will believe you and not the doctors".

I have a non functional left index finger and semi functional left hand, since 5 years.

It took me about 3 years to get used to it.
But in a stressful situation i still mess up and, for example, cant unclip the boltsnap very fast.

If you got pain and/or swelling in your hands, i would not risk it. If something unusual happens you are not 100% working.

I had nearly complete avulsion of my left ring finger tip. After repair, I was diving without problem just under two months later. Your specific injury and treatment will determine your return.

I started diving within two weeks of having my Achilles tendon reattached... twice. It was the best therapy for me. I consulted my doctor, but I made the final decision. He wasn't happy with it, but had to admit that I healed rather better than he expected. I wished I had pushed more with my broken leg. :(

Back
Top Bottom