Hand-Tight Second Stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beats me, dude. None of my regs do that when they're lose. What kind of reg was it?

I *think* some (perhaps all, idk really) regs have two parts that unscrew on the outside of the reg. Part 1 screws into the hose, and part 2 holds some of the inside parts together. I guess if part 2 was lose, it could freeflow because things wouldn't seat properly.

Any reg guys out there wanna fill in the blanks?

Can't explain it either. I'm not a reg tech.
The swivel o-ring in the LP fitting is essentially identical to the o-ring in a barrel type isolator manifold. It sits in a groove in the center of the LP fitting (the "isolator" portion of the connection) and rides inside the barrel of the inlet fitting on the second stage (essentially the "manifold" section of the connection). So the o-ring will continue to seal effectively even if the fitting is loose, provided it is not so loose that the o-ring is backed off to the end of the inlet barrel where the o-ring can then extrude.

Two possibilities for allowing the fitting to cause a freeflow through the second stage come to mind.

Dacor used to have a nifty feature in their second stages where the inlet end of the LP hose served as the adjustment tool for the orifice. It made adjustment a snap for the tech and did nt require an inline adjustment tool to be used on the LP hose. In practice you pressed forward against it under spring pressure and then rotated it to adjust the orifice, which control the orifice to seat engagement. In order to do that, you have to remove and "e" clip. from a groove to allow it to move forward.

The downside was that if the clip went missing, then in some circumstances the reg could be accidentally mis-adjusted. Similarly, if one of those hoses found its way onto another brand of reg, the difference in orifice depths might create an identical situation where loosening or tightening the fitting might adjust the orifice.

A similar condition can exist with some older LP hoses where the support that holds the swivel o-ring extends past the end of the LP fitting. In some cases those can contact the orifice and move it under friction, creating the same mis-adjustment issue.

Other than those possibilities, I have no idea how the snugness of the LP hose to inlet fitting would impact the potential for the second stage to freeflow (as opposed to just leak at the fitting due to an extruded o-ring.)

I *think* some (perhaps all, idk really) regs have two parts that unscrew on the outside of the reg. Part 1 screws into the hose, and part 2 holds some of the inside parts together. I guess if part 2 was lose, it could freeflow because things wouldn't seat properly.

Any reg guys out there wanna fill in the blanks?

You got it, he didn't unscrew the hose from the 2nd stage inlet fitting, he unsrewed the inlet fitting from the body, therefore moving the orifice away from the seat inside the valve, just as it would do if he was breathing off it. When he tightened the fitting, he reseated the orifice against the seat and the freeflow stopped.

I'm guessing he was using an R190/280 or similar type non-balanced second stage. The S600/G250/Apeks regs will not do this.

When pressureized, the hose end is forced away from the orifice not towards it, so the end can't contact the orifice unless you push it in and twist. Even then, no manufacturer I've worked on has the orifice close enough to the end of the inlet fitting for this to happen.

I agree - I was not thinking low end dual adjustment regs.

The R190 is a good example. I had one sent in by a fire department a couple weeks ago for service and they only sent the second stage - but apparently failed to notice they removed the entire external portion of the inlet fitting - which is most likely still located on the end of the LP hose.

It's not uncommon for the connection to the LP hose to corrode a bit and stick allowing the inlet fitting itself to separate first. It's a reg design where you normally want a wrech on both the inlet fitting and the LP hose fitting.

A related concern is that if the LP swivel portion of the fitting is stiff (silt, salt, an excessively large o-ring), twisting the second stage can result in the inlet fitting beginning to unscrew. Consequently, if your reg is doing that, you need to have it looked at.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom