Handling anxious feelings ... What worked best for you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I highly recommend reading TSandM's blog. I laughed until I cried. Her writing style is terrific! I saw so much of myself in this - I was in remedial mask clearing and a couple of other things, but I did persevere.

TSMandM - thanks!!!

You're welcome! I keep that link there because so many people struggle with one thing or another when they're learning, and may feel, "I can never do this!" But if I did it, anybody can . . .

If I remember correctly you are going to Clear Springs Scuba Park for your OW dives, make sure you know the way there don't get lost and get in a rush. Allow extra time to sign the waivers, bring cash they don't take anything else but cash, there can be a line to get signed in allow extra time so you won't get in a rush, be relaxed. If you want to see a training platform and what goes on go to " Clearspring Divers " on facebook and watch one of the videos I posted of a recent class. I will be one of the first in line at CSSP Saturday morning and will probably be set up across from the fill station and showers/restrooms I will be in a Black 4X4 Suburban come by and say hi. Unless you are really cold natured you are not going to need much of a wetsuit, just a shorty, water will be around 90 degrees at the surface down to 25' or so.

Last edited:
Because you've all been so very helpful and kind to me, I wanted to come back and tell you what's happened. If you have the desire (or time or patience!) to read through all of this, I hope you will understand my present state of mind. Needless to say, there will be no certification dives this weekend.

Warning: Epic scuba fail ahead ...

Arrived at class in the late afternoon yesterday for the final confined pool session. My husband, who had "flunked out" the night before went with me, planning to just sit in the shade reading his book. The first drill was to put on all of the equipment out of the water, to simulate what it would be like diving from a boat and having to gear-up before getting in the ocean. We also had to don our wetsuits, and for proper bouyancy, I had 16 lbs in my BC. Then we stood next to the pool and the instructor put the BC and tank onto our backs, after which we were to put on our fins (standing on one foot at a time while leaning on his shoulder), then our masks, then take a giant stride off the side of the pool into the water. I was already really hot in the wetsuit - it must have still been close to 100 degrees at that time of day so wearing head-to-toe neoprene was not comfortable - and when he put the BC/tank on my back I almost fell over from the weight. I'm guessing my gear weighed at least 50 lbs. When it was time to do the giant stride into the water, my legs were shaking like mad. I did the step, and right as I made the plunge, I hit my head on the back of the tank HARD. Going down into the water, one of my fins came off. I panicked - that hit on the head was terribly painful - and had a difficult time remembering to inflate my BC for buoyancy. I floundered around a good deal until I got into the shallow end. I already felt "spent" but wanted to press on.

Once we were all in the water, instructor said the next two drills were the most difficult we would have to do. I took a deep breath and decided, well ok. I can do this. The first was in the shallow end and involved flooding our mask, removing the mask completely, waiting a few seconds, then replacing the mask and clearing it of water. Instructor warned us that water would go up our nose, but that we had to just deal with the discomfort and remember to breathe. So we all went underwater and I watched as everyone else in the class performed the task with ease, then it came my turn. Still feeling shaky from my botched entry into the pool, I again took deep breaths and just pressed on. I filled the mask - hating the sensation of water seeping into my eyes and nose - then removed it completely. With the mask off, the bubbles produced by breathing from the regulator were right IN my face and this was a very unpleasant sensation, especially combined with water going up my nose at the same time. I started to panic again, and instructor kept trying to calm me. It took me quite awhile, but I managed to get the mask back on and cleared the mask partially - but then I accidentally lifted the mask too high while exhaling through my nose, and water rushed in like crazy. I could feel it in my nose and throat. I had to come up to the surface. I was really getting panicky again. Instructor tried his best to calm me, assuring me that I HAD, technically, performed the task, but explaining where I'd gone wrong in lifting the mask too high. I tried my best to get back "in check", calm myself, and just keep going.

The next drill was to swim down to the bottom of the deep end with our buddy, to where instructor sat near the pool drain. There we were to remove our mask and have our buddy lead us on a lap around the pool. Of course, this meant that water went up our nose again without the mask, but we were told it was ok to hold our nose if it really bothered us (so I did). I did the mask removal and was led around the pool by my buddy, then back to the bottom where instructor was waiting to watch me perform that same task of putting on the mask and clearing it -- the very thing I'd had such trouble with just prior to this drill. (Instructor had me go first, since he didn't want me to have time to start fretting that I was incapable of performing this task, after he'd given me instruction on how to do it properly.) Once again, after I got the mask back on my face, clearing it was just a nightmare. I would lift my head up and try to forcefully exhale through my nose, and water would come rushing in. I tried to do it just as he'd showed me – I thought I KNEW where I’d gone wrong before, but just couldn’t seem to get it right. Water still flooded up my nose and I felt like was gulping massive quantities of water into my mouth or throat while still trying to breathe from the regulator. My panic level rose quickly. Instructor kept trying to calm me, but I could not calm down. I kept indicating to him that I wanted to surface, and he kept trying to convince me to stay UW and keep trying. I began to hyperventilate. I could hear myself making distressed cries through the regulator. I signaled again that I was going to the surface, and instructor still kept trying to calm me and keep me at the bottom. The panic and hyperventilation just got worse and worse until I finally just bolted to the surface. Once there, I was pretty much out of my mind. My reasoning ability was gone, and ALL I wanted to do was get out of the pool. My BC was uninflated, so I wasn't buoyant enough to keep afloat in the deep end. I kept feeling myself going under, pulled down by the weights, and I flailed around madly to try to keep my head above water. I had lost all sense of reason - could not even tell WHERE the inflator for my BC was. Eventually - somehow - I think it was a combination of my trying to work my way back there AND someone pulling me - I made it to the shallow end and reached the steps to lean on. I was a disaster. I thought I would puke (wouldn't THAT be lovely in the pool?). My head pounded. I was shaking uncontrollably and whimpering like a frightened puppy. I had massive quantities of snot pouring out of my nose (yuck). My husband rushed over to the pool, and after witnessing my struggle, he broke down sobbing. Instructor tried to get me to calm down, just sit in the pool (I really think he wanted me to keep trying - to keep going and not give up), but ALL I wanted to do was get the hell out of that water. Once out, I sat out of sight of the others and just bawled like a baby with my husband doing the same thing, right along with me. I asked an onsite helper to tell instructor to just keep on with the class. I was horribly, horribly embarrassed and didn't want any more attention directed at me than absolutely necessary. Once I could gather my wits enough I got out of the wetsuit, back into my clothes, and we left. I wanted nothing more than the comfort of being back in my own home.

What an ordeal. I am emotional just writing about it. I took a shower when I got home went to bed early. This morning I feel like I have been physically pummelled. Last night I was SO disappointed and frustrated and ANGRY at my inability to perform the same tasks that everyone else in the class could do with no difficulty. I truly felt like the idiot in the class - but I'm sure I made their scuba training memorable ("Remember that lady in class who freaked out?"). But this morning I feel slightly better about things. I feel like, heck, at least we TRIED this, which is more than most people will ever do. After my husband had such trouble in the pool on Wednesday night, I was disappointed because we wouldn't be doing this at the same pace anymore. Now I completely understand how he felt when he panicked (although his wasn't as dramatic as mine) and just couldn't do the skills. It's incredibly humbling. Part of me wonders if my panic built upon his, and perhaps that was a component. I know I did feel a little bit "lonely" in the pool without him, even though there were obviously others in there with me.

I'm feeling a sense of relief, though, that I don't have to go out to a quarry tomorrow and deal with performing these kinds of tasks with FISH thrown into the mix! I think I will likely still try to continue working on overcoming my phobia, but there is absolutely NO sense of urgency in doing so anymore. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted in that regard. I know I had a lot on my plate with dealing with the phobia AND learning the dive skills. Now I am kinda left wondering why I felt like I had "something to prove" to myself, and to others, in trying to push myself through this class. Even when I started to feel uncomfortable with the skills, I still really tried hard to push myself. I now feel like I'll probably never attain the "coolness" of being a certified scuba diver. But as of this writing – I’ll be honest - I don't care so much. I'm not feeling so much like I failed, but at least ... I really gave it my best. And one thing is for absolute certain: I never, EVER want to feel such a helpless sense of panic again.

My lungs and my throat ache and feel raw, and I want nothing more than to simply rest for the next couple of days. Of course, I SO hoped that my experience would have a different, more positive outcome. I do realize that not everyone who tries scuba is going to feel it's their thing. That's pretty much where I'm at today. Dashed hopes, but a much greater knowledge and awareness than I could have possibly had if I'd never attempted this.

Last edited:
Don't feel bad. You had a huge amount of anxiety building up to this class. Worrying about the fish phobia, your husband failing, it all built up to a major panic attack. It was almost doomed from the beginning of the evening, seems to me.
Sometimes, the smallest things can cause panic. I was teaching my parents how to snorkel in the beautiful, clear blue, warm water of Bonaire and my father had a panic attack. He hadn't really even put his face into the water, yet. We think he got spooked by the size of the fish under the pier.
Mom, on the other hand, was snorkeling all over the place.
Both parents know how to swim. They both used to water ski but I'd say my father was better in the water, having grown up near a large lake and spending his summer around water.
Panic is a strange thing and mask skills are certainly anxiety provoking for many new students.
If you still want to scuba, perhaps a private or semi-private class would be a better option? And, practicing snorkeling/mask skills about 1,000 times, until it's really fun to do and not scarey at all.
Good luck, whatever you decide! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Don't think you failed, your just on an on going adventure. tracydr is right consider private lessons,Thats what we did, you can go at your own pace, don't have to worry about being embarrassed around others.

I feel for you, I practiced clearing my mask for months,,,I finally bought a mask with a purge valve, very simple to clear, small exhale thru your nose and water runs straight out, I have 2, I use and the other for a back up.
Good luck.

Terri

It really sounds as though you weren't taught how to clear your mask properly.

First off, if you position your head correctly, there is no need for water to go up your nose or into your throat. That is a problem that comes from doing the skill in an upright position, and tilting the head back as the book instructions say to do. Tilting the head back IS necessary when you are diving in a horizontal position, but when you are seated, tilting the head back simply orients the floor of the nose in such a way that gravity permits water to enter and run down it. Looking VERY slightly down toward the floor will solve that problem.

Secondly, there is no need to blast air into a mask to clear it, and in fact, doing so can be counterproductive. You are not "blowing" the water out of the mask -- you are simply displacing it with air. The air you blow out your nose will go to the top of the mask, so if you put some gentle pressure on the top, the air can't escape. But the increased volume in the mask as you add air means SOMETHING has to come out, so the water goes out the bottom. People who dive CCRs have to learn how to clear their masks without losing a single bubble of gas -- that tells you that a forceful, high volume purge really isn't necessary AT ALL! If you just very gently exhale through your nose into your mask, eventually, the water will be gone. Pulling the mask away from your face at the bottom just makes it much more likely that the air you are blowing in will escape, or that water will reenter the mask after you have stopped exhaling.

I think it's unfortunate that your instructor told you the mask skill was one of the most difficult you would be asked to do. That just sets people up to believe it is hard, and it isn't. But the good news is that mask skills are the absolute easiest of all to practice on your own -- anybody with a bathtub, or a big kitchen sink can practice mask skills! You can practice filling your mask with water and simply wearing it that way. You will quickly figure out how to orient your head to avoid water running down into your throat, and the claustrophobia of a water-filled mask will go away, too.

You can also practice filling the mask with water, and gently exhaling through your nose until the water is gone (warning, don't do this over the kitchen floor!) If you have a hot tub or pool, you can make it a game -- see if you can clear the mask without losing any air at all.

If you work with this and solve it, you will gain a lot of confidence that everything else is capable of solution. You are not the only person to have problems with this skill, or even the only one to panic and bolt. I came very close to it in my OW dives, myself. If diving is something you want to do, don't give up.

No need to worry about it, different people have different comfort levels in the water.

You have the right attitude, which is important. You didn't feel right about the class on that day, so you didn't get back in the water. If there is a next time around, you will be much better prepared for it. You may or may not be ready to hear suggestions for next time, as you are probably still dealing with the issues you had, but I will offer them up anyway, and apologize if you think this is out of order>

Just as an FYI, on giant strides, I usually put my right hand on the mask and regulator to hold it in place, and my left hand on the back of my head for exactly the reason of hitting my head on first stage regulator....and yes, I learned that lesson the hard way too, and so I know how much it hurts.

As for the mask clearing, if you are vertical in the water at the bottom of the pool, there is no need to tilt your head back, this might be why you are getting a rush of water into your noze. Tilting your head back is only necessary if you are horizontal (i.e. laying on your belly).

Last edited:
Wow ... I never would have DREAMED that we were being taught a technique improperly. Now I'd like to try it as instructed above to see how that works. The sensation of water going up my nose ... horrible. And to be told that it's something we'd just have to "endure" ... well, I really didn't like hearing that! I don't mind putting forth effort to learn new things, but if the physical sensation is very disturbing, I find it very hard to get onboard.

My husband is saying that he'd like to give himself a few months to get back into tip-top physical shape, and perhaps try again. Private lessons the next time around. I think he's a bit more prone to want to jump back into it, because his panic was not a full-out FREAK OUT like mine was. He realizes that his biggest issue was exhaustion because he'd allowed himself to get somewhat out of shape, and he thinks that if he gets back to a certain fitness level, his chances of success are much higher. Of course, I'll stand behind him and support him in his goals, whatever they may be (and I realize they may morph along the way). But I now recognize that I have a longer road to travel myself in dealing with my tendency towards anxiety and panic, which is much greater than I realized.

I do know better than to say "never" ... Let's just say I'm extremely guarded at this point.

Thank you for your kind, understanding words though. I really feel like less of a boob knowing that I'm not the first person to ever freak and bail.

no need to feel bad, I really appreciate you sharing your story, as a divemaster, I like to read posts like these to help me be a better divemaster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom