Handling anxious feelings ... What worked best for you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your instructor was probably trying to teach you how to work out problems underwater, which you *must* learn how to do at some point. You can't bolt to the surface in deep water. Hold that regulator in and cough through it!

Just FYI - the mask removal skill had me nearly in tears. I think it took me 6 tries to *barely* pull it off in the training pool. I swallowed and gagged on a lot of water. Fortunately for me, there was another guy in the class who had the same problem, so I felt like I had company in my misery. I found Scubaboard just because I was looking for advice to get through it. I made myself nearly physically ill before my OW dives worrying about it. I practiced with a snorkel in the kitchen sink for about an hour (over 3 days) before I really got it. And you know what I was doing wrong? Looking up too far, mostly. I also had to get the hang of pretending my nose didn't exist, so I wouldn't breathe in or out of it with the mask off.

I also failed the free-flowing regulator skill and the remove and replace weights underwater skill the first couple of times. Once I got those they were easy to repeat, but the mask removal one is still a challenge for me, so I keep practicing it.

If I were you, I'd go ahead and get in shape with your husband (that's just a great idea anyway). And maybe go snorkeling for a while instead. I just got back from Roatan, which has fantastic snorkeling. I hear the Florida Keys are nice too. There are even aquariums that will let you snorkel in them for a price ;-). And you can do all of the mask clearing drills with the snorkel (right at the surface). I actually go to my local pool and swim around with just a snorkel and no mask sometimes. Once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad.

No reason to rush, right?

If you ever do get back into scuba, I bet you would enjoy a class with just the two of you. Then you can do things at your own pace without feeling embarrassed. (Edited to add - not that you should be embarrassed, but it happens and just adds to the tension!)

The other great thing about doing a couple of trips to where there is good snorkeling, is that you can work on your phobia of marine life in a much less risky environment. Lower your anxiety about skills AND marine life, and you'll find the class a WHOLE lot less stressful.

I have to ask, because I can't wrap my head around it -- what is your motivation for learning to dive, if you are afraid of things that live in the water? The only place I can think of where you can scuba and not run into fish and other living things is in a pool. :)

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that. :(

Do you have access to a swimming pool outside of these classes? Because honestly fitness by itself (while great) isn't nearly so important as the confidence that comes from going into swimming pool (I deny categorically that I have ever used a snorkel or mask in a bathtub and I'm sticking to that story) and getting comfortable with water and the mask/snorkel.

Not having a deadline is much better, though I wouldn't wish your way of dropping the deadline on anyone.

Wow ... I never would have DREAMED that we were being taught a technique improperly. Now I'd like to try it as instructed above to see how that works. The sensation of water going up my nose ... horrible. And to be told that it's something we'd just have to "endure" ... well, I really didn't like hearing that! I don't mind putting forth effort to learn new things, but if the physical sensation is very disturbing, I find it very hard to get onboard.

My husband is saying that he'd like to give himself a few months to get back into tip-top physical shape, and perhaps try again. Private lessons the next time around. I think he's a bit more prone to want to jump back into it, because his panic was not a full-out FREAK OUT like mine was. He realizes that his biggest issue was exhaustion because he'd allowed himself to get somewhat out of shape, and he thinks that if he gets back to a certain fitness level, his chances of success are much higher. Of course, I'll stand behind him and support him in his goals, whatever they may be (and I realize they may morph along the way). But I now recognize that I have a longer road to travel myself in dealing with my tendency towards anxiety and panic, which is much greater than I realized.

I do know better than to say "never" ... Let's just say I'm extremely guarded at this point.

Thank you for your kind, understanding words though. I really feel like less of a boob knowing that I'm not the first person to ever freak and bail.

The mask clear is something I struggled with as well. Although I got through my OW, it still wasn't comfortable and I didn't like it. So last summer I spent several hours (over multiple days / sessions) in my neighbour's 4 foot deep above ground pool with my snorkel & mask. Over and over and over and over, partial flood and clear. Suddenly it just clicked. I don't know how or why but I found my mojo. All of a sudden I found I could do it several times on the same breath. And it didn't induce anxiety. It felt easy!

So I moved to remove, replace and clear. That came quickly this time. I had it. That was around dive 18 or 19.

Wednesday was #54. It was a second dive, and I didn't bother to reapply defog before descending (silly me). On a 40 minute dive I must have deliberately done a partial flood, tip my head and "swish" to clear the lens, then clear to defog my mask at least 15 times. I thought it was pretty cool that rather than feel the anxiety I would have a year earlier, rather than have to call the dive, it was no more than a minor annoyance to me.

A year ago I would not have believed I could possibly be anything near that "whatever" about it. Just remember, it isn't a competition. Do it at your pace, in your own way, on your own terms. Find, like I did, a way to gain comfort in a non-task loaded, non-threatening way. Bathtub, pool, whatever works. It might come quick, it might take a while, but if you stick with it you can find your way there.

As some have already said I don't think enough emphasis can be put on just swimming but you need to do it without goggles and plugging your nose when you dive down. You'll find ways to either position your head or gently blow bubbles through your nose to keep water from entering. Figure this out and you won't have near the problems with mask clearing as you will be comfortable being uncomfortable!

I get frustrated sometimes that they teach you to look up while clearing your mask, but don't tell you not to look up if you're already vertical. It's like the teachers have been taught badly, and they're passing along the bad advice.

Back
Top Bottom