Handling money in Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rupiah = instant millionaire!

Thank you for this, I am heading to Charles Schwab office in the morning so I can ask for info. about "money magic machines" $$$:bic:$$$

The Charles Schwab account is a GREAT deal, but i'll warn you about its use in Indonesia. On two trips to Indo since setting up the account, despite setting a travel advisory before going, my transactions were immediately blocked, causing me call back the US over and over. Often it would be cleared, only to have it immediately blocked after one use. One trip i had to call 4 times. The explanation was always that there "was a lot of fraud" in Indonesia and it "wasn't them" it was Visa doing it, so essentially they were helpless, and no manner of complaining ever got me anywhere. Same problem with Philippines incidentally. You need to make sure you aren't going to be rushed to use an ATM in case you are blocked, and make sure you have the time and internet connection if you need to use Skype to call back to the US, and then deal with the uncertainty that even after it's resolved it will likely just happen again the next time. It definitely reduces the overall usefulness it has everywhere else...Otherwise has worked like a charm anywhere else in the world. Despite the problems with Indonesia, still an account well worth having, just be forewarned what will likely come up.

Last edited:
The Charles Schwab account is a GREAT deal, but i'll warn you about its use in Indonesia. On two trips to Indo since setting up the account, despite setting a travel advisory before going, my transactions were immediately blocked, causing me call back the US over and over. Often it would be cleared, only to have it immediately blocked after one use. One trip i had to call 4 times. The explanation was always that there "was a lot of fraud" in Indonesia and it "wasn't them" it was Visa doing it, so essentially they were helpless, and no manner of complaining ever got me anywhere. Same problem with Philippines incidentally. Otherwise has worked like a charm anywhere else in the world. Despite the problems in Indonesia, still an account well worth having...just be forewarned what will likely come up.
While this might be a pain, it is still better than actual fraud draining the funds and leaving me broke and stranded in a foreign country!

While this might be a pain, it is still better than actual fraud draining the funds and leaving me broke and stranded in a foreign country!

Well, true, but its not really an either/or type thing. Have been to Indonesia 20 or more times and haven't really experienced fraud...just be careful just like anywhere else. Remember I'm saying the Charles Schwab account is a great thing, I'm just relating from firsthand experience what a likely limitation is going to be.

The Charles Schwab account is a GREAT deal, but i'll warn you about its use in Indonesia. On two trips to Indo since setting up the account, despite setting a travel advisory before going, my transactions were immediately blocked, causing me call back the US over and over. Often it would be cleared, only to have it immediately blocked after one use. One trip i had to call 4 times. The explanation was always that there "was a lot of fraud" in Indonesia and it "wasn't them" it was Visa doing it, so essentially they were helpless, and no manner of complaining ever got me anywhere. Same problem with Philippines incidentally. You need to make sure you aren't going to be rushed to use an ATM in case you are blocked, and make sure you have the time and internet connection if you need to use Skype to call back to the US, and then deal with the uncertainty that even after it's resolved it will likely just happen again the next time. It definitely reduces the overall usefulness it has everywhere else...Otherwise has worked like a charm anywhere else in the world. Despite the problems with Indonesia, still an account well worth having, just be forewarned what will likely come up.

This is why I say that one really needs ATM cards from multiple BANKS. Not just multiple cards (which you need as well, in case you lose or leave it).

Thanks for the comment, ocdiver1.

- Bill

We do EVERYTHING on ATMs in Indonesia, especially since credit cards are not part of the equation for many people, but savings accounts with debit cards are. Most people pay their electricity, water, phone, cable, ISPs, and cell phones via ATMs. Online shopping is done via ATMs. Tokopedia is pretty much the Amazon of Indonesia, but many people do not have credit cards for payment. One simply buys the products online, heads to the nearest ATM, transfers the correct amount to Tokopedia, takes a photo on their phone of the receipt, an uploads the photo to their account. Done! I pay my staff's salaries using an ATM transfers. I transfer money to dive resorts via ATMs. One can even buy airline tickets on Garuda and Lion . Point is ATMs are everywhere, used by everyone, and there is no reason to be anymore paranoid than anywhere else in the world.

Getting smashed over the head and mugged isn't really going to happen. Of course one needs to use common sense like he/she would anywhere else in the world, but getting robbed like that isn't all that much part of the culture here. One should be far more afraid of getting hurt at an ATM or bar in the US or UK than in Indonesia. Pickpockets and burglary are much more realistic threats and managed by room safes and keeping one cash and cards in a front pocket.

Last edited:
So I am spending about seven weeks in Indonesia starting in October 2017. This is a mainly a dive trip both land and several liveaboards. While most of the trip is prepaid I still need cash for some of the trip. I do not want to carry a lot of cash with me so I was wanting to know what others do in this situation? I will need mostly Indonesian rupiah. ATM's, bank machines, credit cards? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just curious are all of your accommodations and diving already pre-paid for? Or are you going on the fly? I am asking because I have spent that much and more time in Indonesia and have only used ATM's a couple times over the years. Most of my major stuff is pre-booked so All I need to worry about is a meal or transportation here or there. The more expensive restaurants will take CC if necessary and resorts/LOBs always take credit cards or USD (not sure about Canadian dollars). The biggest expense is the excess baggage fees for the airlines but if you are flying Garuda you don't have to worry about that. I usually end up taking home a ton of Rupiah but it isn't a worry since I always go back. When I call my credit card company to tell them I am traveling, they always know already because they keep track of airplane tickets that are bought. That being said, there are no worries with ATMs in Indo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom