Happy 228th to the U.S.Marine Corps and Fellow Devil Dogs Everywhere!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
:Birthday: I always enjoy telling this story, even more so on our birthday. I invite other Jar Heads to correct or embellish as indicated... :cake:

On 10 November 1775, our Continental Congress enacted into law our Continental Marine Corps, so our Continental Navy could have one, like other navies around the world. Delegates then went down to Tun's Tavern and recruited sharpshooters to serve - from whence we have our traditions that all Marines are riflemen first, as well as hard drinkers.
:wflag:
Marines of other nations served on ships to protect the officers from possible mutinies, but our men were all patriots. Having little else to do during naval encounters with the British, our Marines took their rifles up in the sailing riggings to shoot at English cannon operators, making their top row of cannons worthless and giving our ships a strong edge.

SEMPER FI!!
:iwagima:

dandydon once bubbled...

On 10 November 1775, our Continental Congress enacted into law our Continental Marine Corps, so our Continental Navy could have one, like other navies around the world. Delegates then went down to Tun's Tavern and recruited sharpshooters to serve - from whence we have our traditions that all Marines are riflemen first, as well as hard drinkers.

And the story goes ... immediately after the first Marine ever was signed up, he turned around and told the guy behind him:

"damn new Corps, they don't make em like they used to in the old Corps."
:)

Semper Fi Don

Good to see other Jarheads on the site !

Semper Fi !! :getsome:

To all the Vets out there have a good veterans day

But let us not forget the name of (then) Captain Samuel Nicholas, for it was he who formed our beloved corps.

Congratulations Marines :) Did an Junior leadership course with a few Jarheads when I was in the RCN Great bunch of Guys!! Man can they Drink

Cherry

And Aarron Clanton...if you are you are out there...Happy Birthday Marines

Joe

I just started it without looking to see if any other Leatherknecks had already started one. Shoulda' known. My bad.

Today, I want to express my gratitude to all veterans of all U.S. forces - past, present, future - for protecting our country... :tribute:

don :patriot:

And lets not forget what the marines really are "A Department Of The NAVY" Sorry I had to do it (former squid here)

Back
Top Bottom