Hard plate vs Soft Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayfarmlaw

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I should probably know this, but could not find anything searching either this site or the web. I'm a gear junkie. It started with my first breath underwater and has gotten progressively worse since. I purchased a use Transpac last year and set it up with a wing, weight pockets, utility pocket, etc. My first dive it was obvious that there is a reason people love the BP/W like they do.

Then came Black Friday and I bought an aluminum backplate and wing for less than used prices, and a Transplate blem from Northeast Scuba Supply.

I have dove with both of them to have developed a definite preferences for the soft plate Transpac. Its the "goto" rig because it is just more comfortable to me. Both are set up pretty much identical.

My question is, "what is the benefit over an aluminum plate over a soft plate?" I really cant tell any difference in weighting with a heavy AL100 tank. The Al plate is easier to get to the holes I clip my SMB to...but I just added an extra D ring to my belt behind the weight pocket and solved that. With the AL100, I dive with no weights in fresh water so any weight reduction on the belt with the hard plate is not a factor. In salt water, I dive steel 120's so I may add 4 pounds depending on which wetsuit/skin i'm wearing. I could probably go with less, or none, but I don't like being floaty during the SS.

So.....is there any advantage of a hard plate over a soft plate other than possibly less weight on the belt? I dive warm water so a steel plate is not needed.

Thanks in advance for your response. Keep South Texas and the Cajuns in your thoughts...Looks like The Strand (Galveston) might become a new dive site!!

Jay

"Advantages" are in the eye of the beholder. If you prefer the "soft plate" over an aluminum plate, should someone's offer of a supposed "advantage" sway your preference? Look at all the endless debates over supposed advantages and disadvantages of BP/Ws versus jacket BCs. As with most things diving, the best advice is use what works for YOU.

The metal plate is more stable, especially with larger heavier tanks.

Most people will feel the difference. For some the difference is not a big deal, others the difference matters.

The metal plate is more stable, especially with larger heavier tanks.

Most people will feel the difference. For some the difference is not a big deal, others the difference matters.

I dive tanspac and doubles do move around way more than I like. The straps though a hard plate pull the plate into your back without having a tight fit and the way the straps spread across your shoulders and around the waist keeps the plate from swinging. A single does not move much, even with the Dive rite rec xt anti-taco bungees pulling the wing forward, away from the tank. The transpac flexes and even with the stabilizers, the axis of the tank/s attachment point flexes between the shoulder strap and waist belt.

I dove a Transpac for many years. Also a Oxycheq softplate and a hard aluminum plate. All single tank, aluminum 80, steel 100, steel 120.

I shoot UW video and move around in all kinds of positions to get the shot. The hard plate is more stable with all tanks. I don't mind the movement with an AL80, but for the bigger heaver steel tanks, I definitely prefer the stability of the hard plate.

"Advantages" are in the eye of the beholder. If you prefer the "soft plate" over an aluminum plate, should someone's offer of a supposed "advantage" sway your preference? Look at all the endless debates over supposed advantages and disadvantages of BP/Ws versus jacket BCs. As with most things diving, the best advice is use what works for YOU.

I completely agree about the endless debates. Split fins vs. Blades; jacket vs, BPW vs rear inflate jacket; piston reg vs. Diaphram; CCR vs OC; BFK vs trilobite vs trauma shears; etc. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

Have a good weekend, safe travels.

Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom