Hard Weights in Checked Bags?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP, if you already own the weights, and have spare weight-allowance for your checked bags, just take them. There is NO problem in doing this. Quit worrying about it!
If you don't own the weights yet, just buy them there and bring them home, or sell them back for their rental line.

Thanks! I needed this reassurance! I would hate to be told they were not allowed in the checked luggage at the airports. I own the weights and will be shore diving in Saipan prior to Hawaii. I will pack expecting the bag to be searched there won't be much else in it, maybe a towel. If the US airports are okay with it I am assuming Yap and Majuro will be okay too.

They didn't like my weights because their x-ray machine could not see through them.

Lead and Gold, both block the X-ray machines. A good reason for a bag search.

But if it's just lead, no reason to be concerned. Just put a scuba magazine in the bag too.

I dove with Maui Dreams a couple of years ago. I don't remember being charged for weights, but it was possible. Their rates seem pretty reasonable. Rentals - Maui Dreams Dive Co

I only did a resort course in Kona in 2001. My dive buddy was there recently. I will ask him who he used.

While I am waiting for my dive buddy to reply (which may not be till I see him on Monday), I looked around. This place has great rates (compared to the larceny or $10/day of most other places). What bothers me is the "local rates". I have to wonder if they only give these rates to folks with a Hawaii drivers license. Hawaiian Scuba Shack

I also found one for $5/day. Big Island Scuba Repair - Page 3

I dove with Maui Dreams a couple of years ago. I don't remember being charged for weights, but it was possible. Their rates seem pretty reasonable. Rentals - Maui Dreams Dive Co

I rented gear from them last May. Only paid for tank rentals. No charges for weights.

I talked to Alaska Airlines and they said put all the weights in the checked bag (I guess we know that already :wink: ) and if it's over 50 pounds it costs $75 for a checked bag instead of $25. It looks like I'll be using the luggage scale I got for Christmas.

From what was said it sounds like it's cheaper to buy weights than to rent them if you are going to be diving for more than a few days. My local dive buddy may be getting a free addition to his gear collection when we leave the island.

You can buy lead while you are there and ship it in a small USPS flat rate box back to Tampa for less than $10. As a matter of fact, if you have the address of where you are staying, you can buy here and ship there......Just a thought.

I've carried two 1-lb ankle weights (soft) in my carry on a few times without problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom