Hardcore diving in AZ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! With a little bit of research it seems like there are a lot of caves in Az... maybe as many as 4000. And cave politics here is... uh... wild!

Stephen Ash:
Wow! With a little bit of research it seems like there are a lot of caves in Az... maybe as many as 4000. And cave politics here is... uh... wild!

Yeah, I hear the standard bribe to get into some caves is a keen hat.

AzAtty:
Yeah, I hear the standard bribe to get into some caves is a keen hat.

See... I'm thinkin' that you can hump all the sets of 104s while I carry the AL80s.

Speaking of 104's, I was thinking that if *someone* were to buy me a ticket to Cancun (or the nearest airport to Tulum), I *might* deposit a set of doubles with the Tulum Tank Trust so that our cavers would have enough gas to suck.

As for caves in Arizona, I wouldn't be opposed to playing support lackey once in a while. It wouldn't be the first time that I've lugged heavy junk over a few miles.

So does anyone here belong to any of the AZ Grottos? Been to any of their meetings? Been taken to any of there gaurded treasures?

What do they think of cave divers? Do they look down their noses at us or think that we aren't REAL cavers because we do it under water? Has anyone been consulted by dry cavers when they find their exploration inhibited by water?

Anyone here with dry cave training? How's that?

Rob, check in, I'll help carry your gear. If you can wait till fall.

don O

Okay, back from cave country. We had a great time diving a few of the systems in N. Florida. Did some new dives and explored lots of side passages.

As for Peppersauce, I've been in the cave and am planning on doing a little exploratory dive there this summer. No doubles, etc. I'm going to work on rigging up a sidemount system over the next month or so and testing it out in OW for a few dives. If all goes well, then I'll take a couple of small tanks into the cave and see what it looks like. If it looks promising, then we'll make plans from there. I've had plans to do this for a while, but just haven't had the time. It will happen soon. :D Peppersauce isn't too bad of a dry cave. There is some minimal climbing to do right before the sump, but other than that, it's easy enough to get through.

I have been to a local grotto meeting. The folks there actually seemed pretty impressed with the cave diving thing, especially the number of hours that goes into training. I have not been through any formal dry cave training, but will do so when it fits my schedule. The grotto I had contact with does the training for free. Our schedules just haven't worked out. A lot of their training deals with vertical caving, though. Peppersauce doesn't have much of that, at least not getting to the sump.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom