harness for sidemount and twins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me, I want full control of how I configure the rig. Most of the harnesses I listed come with integral harnesses...and/or... can't easily be configured onto other harness/plate options. As a personal preference, I don't like 'comfort style' harnesses with fixed D-rings, chest straps and quick releases. I want a rig that allows me to define the set-up.

The wings also have to cater to steel back-mount doubles, so the wing capacities are generally a very large volume... far larger, for instance, than you'd require for tropical recreational diving.

The wing shapes are a compromise also... but the wings vary on each rig. Sidemount favors the lift being retained over the hips. Backmount favors a more equal distribution...you need some lift up high if using doubles with manifold... because a lot of weight up near the shoulders.

Some of the hybrid sidemount use donut wings... or, otherwise, wings that inflate under the buttplate. These raise the buttplate when inflated... trashing cylinder trim and raising the profile of the diver. It's a noted issue in confined-space overhead environment diving.

If used with aluminim cylinders, a butt-plate is less than optimal. You need to switch cylinders to front D-rings to maintain cylinder trim when the tanks get buoyant. Buttplates tend to be lower than the waist belt. Moving attachment locations serves to 'push' the cylinder higher in relation to the diver... ruining cylinder trim and causing valves to extend forwards of the armpits/shoulders.

Some of the wings don't easily accept metal backplates. That's more problematic if you'll be using backmount doubles with an isolation valve. At the same time, the 'sturdy' soft backplates on hybrids aren't as lightweight and flexible as the webbing/two-plate systems used in dedicated sidemount rigs like the Razor, X-Deep or Apeks...

I shy away from personal ratings/recommendations because the choice and applicability of a given rig is also very influenced by regional factors and the type of diving conducted. What suits me for technical wreck penetration here in the Philippines might be a less attractive solution for a cold-water diver using large steel tanks and a drysuit etc etc etc

For me, I want full control of how I configure the rig. Most of the harnesses I listed come with integral harnesses...and/or... can't easily be configured onto other harness/plate options. As a personal preference, I don't like 'comfort style' harnesses with fixed D-rings, chest straps and quick releases. I want a rig that allows me to define the set-up.

The wings also have to cater to steel back-mount doubles, so the wing capacities are generally a very large volume... far larger, for instance, than you'd require for tropical recreational diving.

The wing shapes are a compromise also... but the wings vary on each rig. Sidemount favors the lift being retained over the hips. Backmount favors a more equal distribution...you need some lift up high if using doubles with manifold... because a lot of weight up near the shoulders.

Some of the hybrid sidemount use donut wings... or, otherwise, wings that inflate under the buttplate. These raise the buttplate when inflated... trashing cylinder trim and raising the profile of the diver. It's a noted issue in confined-space overhead environment diving.

If used with aluminim cylinders, a butt-plate is less than optimal. You need to switch cylinders to front D-rings to maintain cylinder trim when the tanks get buoyant. Buttplates tend to be lower than the waist belt. Moving attachment locations serves to 'push' the cylinder higher in relation to the diver... ruining cylinder trim and causing valves to extend forwards of the armpits/shoulders.

Some of the wings don't easily accept metal backplates. That's more problematic if you'll be using backmount doubles with an isolation valve. At the same time, the 'sturdy' soft backplates on hybrids aren't as lightweight and flexible as the webbing/two-plate systems used in dedicated sidemount rigs like the Razor, X-Deep or Apeks...

I shy away from personal ratings/recommendations because the choice and applicability of a given rig is also very influenced by regional factors and the type of diving conducted. What suits me for technical wreck penetration here in the Philippines might be a less attractive solution for a cold-water diver using large steel tanks and a drysuit etc etc etc

thanks thats very useful - as you say id also prefer to tinker with fine tuning bottle positions clips etc, think i'll do a sedemount course/trip before i make a decision

Back
Top Bottom