Has anyone dived Lake Possum Kingdom lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba.... which day/time/location are you going to PK ??

We're going this Saturday (Oct 4) and we're loosely planning on putting in at Scenic Point about 9:00 or just a bit after.
As for destinations, we'll decide for certain when we get there. At least one of our trio of divers feels like we haven't been to PK unless we go 'treasure hunting' inside Hell's Gate. I know, I know...vis is terrible there, but we humor him.
After that, we will most likely go toward the dam, possibly at Governor's Cove or perhaps along the "short wall", near lake marker 12 or so.
Do you have plans to go this weekend? Let me know and perhaps we can join up.

Bill

We're going this Saturday (Oct 4) and we're loosely planning on putting in at Scenic Point about 9:00 or just a bit after.
As for destinations, we'll decide for certain when we get there. At least one of our trio of divers feels like we haven't been to PK unless we go 'treasure hunting' inside Hell's Gate. I know, I know...vis is terrible there, but we humor him.
After that, we will most likely go toward the dam, possibly at Governor's Cove or perhaps along the "short wall", near lake marker 12 or so.
Do you have plans to go this weekend? Let me know and perhaps we can join up.

Bill

Hi Bill.... sounds like a great day you folks have planned out. I was to meet up with a fellow Swamper Friday at CSSP for her to give a try to one of my large steel singles---but had to cancel as I have more than I can hope to get done tomm.. On Sat. is our annual fall trek to the Canton Trade Days......so Sunday if not to worn out from Canton was the only weekend day. Hey you guys have a wonderful trip....have fun and be careful.....hope you post a little report later after your outing. Alan :)

Hey Bill-
If you check in with Todd, give us a report on his set up. I grew up on that lake but haven't been back since I certified. My grandparents still have a house there so I know I'll be back soon enough and will need a place to get air. Have a great trip and let us know how it goes.

Txdiveguy...sorry our schedules won't match up. Hopefully, next time.

Brandon...I've got it on my list to call Todd to see about air fills and possibly to see their new digs. Hopefully, they are up and running and plan on hanging in there. I sure hope so, because they've been a part of diving at PK for an awfully long time.

I'll let ya'll know how it goes this weekend. Hopefully, vis and weather will cooperate with us and continue to do so for another month or so, at least. After that, it starts to get a bit chilly out there on the lake!

We're back, but I don't have all that much to report, really. Oh, we had three fun dives, but they really weren't what we'd initially planned, nor were they particularly special. However, we had fun with them, terrible vis and all.
We had planned only one dive inside hell's gate in order to look for 'stuff' lost by party boaters. Our first dive did, indeed, produce booty. We found fourteen pairs of sunglasses, four anchors, and a cell phone (bet THAT sure spoiled someone's day!). Vis varied from zilch to about six feet in the flats, but it was fun cruising tethered, finding the anchors, shooting a marker, then returning with the boat to haul them up.
We took a surface interval, had snacks and cruised the rest of the inside of the gates looking for a place for dive two. We decided on an area just north of the "peninsula house". For anyone else looking at this site...don't. Vis was dismal, and there was really very little to see. We terminated after about a half hour and moved back to the flats, where we learned not to go too far south...vis gets progressively worse the farther you go.
The original plan had been to make second and maybe third dives along the north wall toward the dam, possibly in Governor's Cove. Well, the wind had kicked up by afternoon, and we didn't really want to fight the whitecaps, nor did we think the wind would have let us moor where we wanted. That's the only reason we stayed in the Gates. We didn't get a chance to check out Todd's set-up at PK...that was another slight disappointment.
All in all, it was a fun, relaxed day of diving. Sure, it wasn't what we expected, but we made the most of it. Hopefully, we'll get back out there once more before it turns cold. We'll try to find some clearer water then.

Bill,
Sorry to hear that the site was not pleasent.
It's about that time of year when the lake start to turn over.

As far as the moorings they were on the North side using the cliffs as cover.

This might turn into an interesting place to dive with the right support and a local guide. Maybe the Lake Travis of North Texas.

Sorry for the delay in replying, work has been insane.

Regards, Andrew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom