Has anyone ever gone diving at Balmorhea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sham_ba_la

Reaction score
Has anyone ever gone diving at Balmorhea?

I was just informed this evening that my OW check out may possibly be at this lake instead of Athens Scuba Park where the class normally goes. My instructor told me that it really depends upon the weather conditions at the time we do our check-outs which is the weekend of November 8th, so if we get any cold snaps out here a week or two before hand were going to Balmorhea...

Can anyone tell me a little about this place or how far of a drive it is? All and any suggestions I thank you in advance!

D

Your instructor would be a better one to ask these questions but...

Its about a 7-9 hour drive. Some people drive faster or make more stops than others .

Water is a consistant low 70's temp.

Its a big swimming pool essentially.

Which shop?

TwoBit

Not all of this may be correct, working from my meory...
:thinkof:
The water hole now known as San Solomon Springs State Park has been there for thousands of years, and was a favorite cooling off spot for Amerind aboriginese, then Spanish and Anglo ranchers. Some of the springs of the Pecos area have ceased due to excessive mining of underground water for irrigation, but this one continues to flow with about a million gallons a day.

It was developed during the Great Depression by federal employees into a mostly natural terrain bottom, concrete sided L-shaped pool, 20 feet deep in the large round area at the corner and down the middle of one of the legs. It has two minnow species found nowhere else, a few catfish and turtles, and thousand of a tetra specie that was introduced from the Rio Grande. :blfish: The characins are tiny members of the same family as piranhas (as are neon tetras seen in many aquariums), and one decided to take some test bites on my ears while I was trying to pay attention to my instructor. :fishy: Hurt! Holding my ears, the assisting DM thought I had equalizing problems, but I explained in my best, impromptu sign language: "Friging fish biting ears!"

Great place for newbies doing OW checkouts - always clear, always 70-72F in winter to 78 F summer (when it's 105 F above water), with hot showers and nice restrooms on site. The desert can be cool and windy in November; take a long coat, just in case. :cold: The small park includes some really nice, economical motel rooms. Book these early, or camp spaces at Ph 512-389-8900. The park rangers can be phoned at 432-375-2370, with their recent area code change. Motel rooms and cute cafes also available in town. Your cell phone will work in town, but probably not at the park. Take everything you want to eat, drink, or use at the park, but there is a small dive shop with airfills outside of the gate.

AND THEN - YOU GET A PAPER C-CARD, AND YOU CAN GO CRAZY LIKE SOME OF US... :corky:

Don is pretty much right. We dived there last February. Water was a toasty 76º and the air temp was a chilly 42º....-20º with the wind! We had a blast! What Don didn't mention is the excellent visibility. That alone is worth it!

From the east side of Houston it's a smooth 10 hour drive but we enjoy road trips. The cabins are very nice with efficiency kitchens so you really don't have to eat out if you don't want to. The few restaurants in town are OK but not great.

To see some photo from our trip, check out my Balmorhea Album.

Wow, thanks for the great responses so far.. I hope we do end up going there instead of Athens, I think Balmorhea would be much more fun and warmer.. :) It seems to be quite a drive out there, but I really enjoy road trips and getting away for the weekend..

Great pictures Dee!!

TwoBitTxn, in answer to your question on which shop I'm taking classes with it's Blue Dolphin in Frisco.

Don, thanks for the History on the location.. I think I can do without Tetra's biting on my ears, but then again it couldn't be any worse than getting bit up by fireants in my yard which I've been fighting off lately... :D

D

Sham-ba-La,
You will have a great time there. The drive to Balmorhea sucks from anywhere but it ids a fun dive. I have 40 or so dives there and they have all been fun. Don is 100% correct, bring everything you need, drinking water for sure! It is in the desert and the weather can change, be prepared! In the summer John from the Laird ranch has his concesion trailer set up outside the park and his food is great. They run a B&B in town. I stay there when we can get rooms. The food is excellent and the place is wonderful too. The beds are unbelievable!
They have happy hour that last for much more then an hour, all sorts of snacks and drinks, beer and wine and it seems I've had one of John's famous margaritas. You can sit and visit with the other divers in the kitchen or on the deck. This is beginning to sound like a commercial! Sorry!
The Valleyview is quite an experience too.
Ya get what ya pay for!
Laird Ranch B&B 1 866 4 LAIRDS
Valleyview 915 375 2663

Joe

I wnet to Balmorhea a couple of years ago, well.....maybe 5 years ago. Times flies when you are scuba diving. The diving was great, we camped and it was great to crawl out of the tent look at the mountains and then go diving. One of my favorite memories of the trip was going to the observatory and driving through the Barilla mountains. Great little town up there and even had a real soda fountain in one then local shops. Have fun I hope you get to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom