Has anyone ever gone diving at Balmorhea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

polkster13 once bubbled...
That is a cool idea! I would love to dive with ya'll and become an offical member of the "Swampers".

:bounce: Me too Me too :bounce:

But I have to wait until after November 8th, If we go out there for our check-outs I will let ya'll know what things were like when I get back unless you go out there before hand and then you can let me know... :D

D

There will be no noreasters. The weather comes from the northwest. It will probably be great, but take something to stay warm with just incase it changes! I have been there in December and Saturday it was 75degrees. Sunday at 8am it was 60ish but by 1 it was in the 30's spitting snow. Texas desert, what can I say.
The cabins in the park are nice. Nothing fancy but clean and comfy. Seems like some of the rooms are quite large. The cost is not bad either, can't give you specifics but the website can.
I think the springs area closes at 10pm year round. If that is so you should be able to get a night dive in with out paying extra. If not it was only $3 a head last time we paid. It is worth it.

Joe

A Nor'easter in West Texas?!

Joe, when we get those, I start looking for something big.

Last time I was there was for Dive For Dan after Memorial Day. Drove between two or three F-1 tonadoes (hamrless, but impressive dust devils) :devil: in 105 F air. By the time we did the Night Dive Treasure Hunt, the water was up to 78 F in the deep end.

But W-Texas is infamous for fast changing weather. Do not count on a 3 day forecast. Pecos Time & Temp is 432-445-2200, with weather forecast for next few hours. Low tonight is 55 F, but it's a dry cool, with no humidity to suck heat.

Pecos Dept of Tourism is 432-445-2406. Oh yes, the ground squirels will beg food, but don't touch. Rabies and bubonic plague are common among them. This is West Texas. Watch for rattlesnakes in the brush and cotton mouths in the canal. You know, I'll bet the skeeters are still biting there in early November. Take Deet and Sunblock.

I mentioned that your cell phone won't work at the park. Even if you can call 911, get comfy and wait. Don't you love it when city dudes come to the desert?! :evil:

don

Dee once bubbled...
Ya'll keep it up and you'll have me planning another trip to Balmorhea myself!

Wonder what it's like in November??

If you decide to go let me know. I just may be there.

Joe

I was thinking more in the way of November. Since there's 5 Sat. in November, maybe the 2nd, 3rd or 4th weekend. Say 6 weeks from now.

We stayed in one of the cabins when we were there. It was very nice! Bedroom with 2 double beds, big bathroom, step down a couple steps to a sunken kitchen. A doorway to the back patio from the bedroom, complete with a drying rack for our gear. I think tax included I paid $62 per night. Considering that includes free diving I thought it was a great price. This time we'll take more than just breakfast and sandwich stuff and avoid the cafe's in town. The ones we ate in had no concept of customer service!

The small dive shop next door is OK, air fills were decent, even in my HP tanks. The spring is quite a walk from the parking lot so I'd suggest gear bags/boxes with wheels and maybe one of those wheeled luggage racks for tanks to keep from carrying the weight so far.

We went at the end of March and were the only ones diving. Of course that freak cold front blew into Central Texas from the west, and we drove right smack into it. The air temp was 40 when we got in the pool, about 34 when we got out. The water was a balmy 75 and it was really great to have the place to ourselves. We did a twilight dive the first night, and then an early dive the next morning - it was still in the 30's at that point, so we were the only ones there again. But by the time we got out, the temp was warming up, and about 40 divers had pulled into the parking lot to setup. We also stayed in the motel, but didn't have a kitchen unit, so we cooked on our camp stove outside. The room was large, comfortable - nothing fancy but the water was hot, and the heat worked!! The next day we went up the Davis Mountains to visit MacDonald Observatory, and it was even colder and there was snow on the ground. Even with it freezing, doing a Stargazer party was well worth the cold & the drive. Would love to go back again and maybe camp next time ... but it will have to wait till next year more than likely ....

I am going to be very hard pressed to make any dive trips this year with the way my schedule is shaping up. However, next year is looking pretty good and I got to thinking about the possibility of going out to the spings over Spring Break. My daughter, who is a diver, will be going off to college in the Fall of 2004 so there will be fewer oppurtunities for us to dive together.

I would also like to go up to McDonald Observatory and do an evening of star gazing (I used to be an avid astro-photographer but my limited funds caused me to have to give up a couple of my hobbies and this was one of them) while out there.

I will check with the wife to see when our Spring Break is (as she is also a teacher) and post the dates. Would others be interested in joining our little group for some diving and star gazing?

I'm agreed with pretty much all of you - and would LOVE to be able to join the group in a Balmorea Dive.

I've only gone in the summer, but the 70 degree water was such a treat compared to the 100 degree air. We stayed in one of the cabins near the aquaduct and had a great time sittng outside watching the fishies and other wildlife. I remember the cabins to be clean & nice, sort of on the rustic side but VERY reasonable in price.
The park entry fee was covered by purchasing a Gold Passport, which ended up cheaper for family of 4 X 4 days -then we got to go to TX parks for the rest of the year!

My special memory. We dove in the morning, then touristed the area during the afternoon & evenings. The day we choose to attend the McDonald Observatory star party, by dumb luck, was a night-time shuttle reentry RIGHT OVER US !! We could actually see the shuttle itself and the contrail glowed for a half hour afterwards !!!!!

I'm ready to go back anytime!

-=>Larry<=- once bubbled...
The day we choose to attend the McDonald Observatory star party, by dumb luck, was a night-time shuttle reentry RIGHT OVER US !!

How far is the McDonald Observatory from the Springs?

D

Seems like it is about an hour and a half maybe less. But it is a very nice drive. There is stuff to see in Ft. Davis also.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom