Has anyone ever gone diving at Balmorhea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forgot to mention the Scorpions. Don't lay your gear down in tyhe grass, and shake your booties out well.

:eek:ut: don

The wife and I were in Balmorhea last weekend. 80 degree air temp, 74 degree water temp. It was just about the perfect day, no swimmers at all and only about 8 divers. All the fish and turtles were out and looking for a food handout, getting very close and personal. Living in West Texas, I have spent a lot of time in Balmorhea. It is a perfect place to test gear and practice skillls but after a few trips there isn't much to see or do. I have never seen a snake in the water during the day and only 1 time at night. I'm sure that there are rattlers around but I have never encountered one in the pool area. I've never seen any scorpians but I do know that there are plenty of them out here. They do drain the pool once a year, usually in January or February for cleaning and maintenance so keep that in mind when planning your dates.

A great place to stay is at the Laird Ranch B&B. John and his wife are very friendly and accomidating.

http://www.lairdranch.com/

Wow!! lots of great information on Balmorhea, thanks everyone!
Still haven't found out for sure if were going there for check-outs yet, but I'm starting to hope so as the evenings are getting cooler, but days are still pretty warm.. I wonder how that affects the water temps..:confused:

Well, class is coming soon and I'm getting real excited on starting, just wish I would have done this years ago.....:D

D

I would not suggest the long drive just to dive there. Every time I go from here, I swear I'm not going back - long drive, dull dive. But it is nice, and a wonderful place for training.

:ghost: Get the Park Ranger to tell you abotu the ghost story!

don :hehe:

Thanks dandydon, but I really don't mind long drives I always seem to find something of interest along the way and I love the open country on long drives... that is unless I'm with someone who wants to do nothing but get to our destination in a hurry and has no interest in what we may pass by...

Also you mentioned a ghost story? Hmmmm.. that sounds pretty cool..

D

dandydon once bubbled...
I would not suggest the long drive just to dive there. Every time I go from here, I swear I'm not going back - long drive, dull dive. But it is nice, and a wonderful place for training.

:ghost: Get the Park Ranger to tell you abotu the ghost story!

don :hehe:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom