Has anyone tried these lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

35 minutes? That kills the deal... Not long enough burn time to be a primary light, and for a backup light you'd still be better off with a longer burn time just in case you were stuck on the surface or something like that. (I prefer AAs cells for backups due to long shelf life but that's another discussion.)

If it could do an hour, even at a somewhat reduced output, then it would be a lot more useful.

Hatul, could you post links to the lights you have had good luck with?

I'm going on a tropical trip next year and I hope to have by then a pair of cheap, bright, small lights like this one. My first foray into cheap Chinese lights was a disaster, with 4 lights in a row going bad, and back to the seller... but I haven't given up on the dream.

The lights that I've tried and work well are in the 3rd post of this thread

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lights/391950-recommendations-cheap-reliable-dive-light.html

Adam

I agree that 35 minutes is way too short. This time I fully drained the batteries gave them a 24 hour charge and kept the light submerged to dissipate the heat.

At about 1 hour, the light started flickering and fading pretty quickly.

The switch acts like a sliding dimmer switch. The output is variable.

1400L CREE XM-L LED Waterproof Diving Flashlight Torch | eBay = http://www.dealextreme.com/p/fandyf...e-led-flashlight-2x26650-2x18650-4x123a-91661

I have the variable switch xml light. I bought some 2400 ultrafire batteries (which turns out to be unprotected so that strobing is actually dangerous/battery going below recommended discharge) and they last 1.5 hours. With a safer pcb battery thats rated to 3100 (redilast) my light will last 2 hours on high. No flooding but the switch could be a pain with dry gloves (most probably will).

The head isn't to big for attaching to the harness via inner tube but, it is a bit longer for someone shorter like me so it will occasionally bump the backplate.

Great report, thanks!

Does this light get dim as it burns, or does it remain at full brightness until it starts to warn you about charge?

Care to let us know what you think of the light? Do you own any other LED light to compare it to?

1400L CREE XM-L LED Waterproof Diving Flashlight Torch | eBay = FandyFire BT-QS88 XM-LT6 Waterproof 1-Mode 1000LM White LED Flashlight (2x26650 / 2x18650 / 4x123A) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I have the variable switch xml light. I bought some 2400 ultrafire batteries (which turns out to be unprotected so that strobing is actually dangerous/battery going below recommended discharge) and they last 1.5 hours. With a safer pcb battery thats rated to 3100 (redilast) my light will last 2 hours on high. No flooding but the switch could be a pain with dry gloves (most probably will).

The head isn't to big for attaching to the harness via inner tube but, it is a bit longer for someone shorter like me so it will occasionally bump the backplate.

Great report, thanks!

Does this light get dim as it burns, or does it remain at full brightness until it starts to warn you about charge?

Constant current regulated, the light's output stays the same. With safe PCB installed batteries, the light will cut off with no warning. With non PCB batteries it will flicker (but strongly not recommend those types.

I have a 14 watt hid, intova compact torch, 1200 lumen 5*r2 led light which I compared it to. Hid beats all (of course since its focused) then the mystery xml light, then 5*r2 1200 lumen light (wider light but hot spot less focused and less bright), then intova.

Overall, I am impressed for this light, but I dislike the switch (prefer traditional twist on). For the average scuba diver, I would go with it. For the DIR/tech diver, Not so much. But in cold water the small switch will be a problem so recommended use, warm water or with thin gloves.

1400L CREE XM-L LED Waterproof Diving Flashlight Torch | eBay = FandyFire BT-QS88 XM-LT6 Waterproof 1-Mode 1000LM White LED Flashlight (2x26650 / 2x18650 / 4x123A) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I have the variable switch xml light. I bought some 2400 ultrafire batteries (which turns out to be unprotected so that strobing is actually dangerous/battery going below recommended discharge) and they last 1.5 hours. With a safer pcb battery thats rated to 3100 (redilast) my light will last 2 hours on high. No flooding but the switch could be a pain with dry gloves (most probably will)..

Hi!
Please can you tell me is the switch on the tail and is it only on/off mode or not?
I have just ordered that flashlight and it was described as having only on/off twist switch on the tail.
It is strange that you said it had variable switch - may be it is different torch, for example, like this one?

Thanks a lot!

---------- Post Merged at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:32 PM ----------

Has anybody some experience with these torches?

The other issue is the textured reflector. Personally I find this causes too much spill light and weaker spot for the poor viz conditions here. I prefer a smooth reflector or an aspheric lens.

I've been happy with my "Chinese" lights and for their prices you can afford triple redundancy.

A buddy had forgotten his light recently and I lent him a £15 Chinese light rated to 10m. We took it to 26m and it worked flawlessly. It's now become my 2nd backup ;-)
Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Back
Top Bottom