Has "Be a Diver" gone awry???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The following allegations have been made, and as far as I know have not been refuted.

1) DEMA is offering discount (or free) booths to a select group of member Companies, the cost of which is paid out of membership dues.

2) DEMA puts on an expense paid meeting for a Select group of member Companies,
the cost of which is paid out of membership dues.

Now we are to believe that a video that promotes a Select Group of member Companies did not include any costs paid from DEMA membership dues.

Why would reasonable people draw that conclusion?

Tobin

I understand what you are saying, Tobin, but the DEMA folks simply aren't going to respond to those allegations....if they confirmed your first point, there would be a virtual #@$% storm. :wink:

If they did pay something for the video, at least it is being seen by a large number of people, and can hopefully have a postive influence on people to explore scuba diving, which is good for all of us in the industry. Should they have let the members know of this plan? (if it happened) Probably, but I still don't see it as a huge issue.

All that being said, I certainly wish we could have negotiated some free seminar space....we are paying out the @$$ to put on regulator seminars....:shakehead:

I find this thread disturbing, but not surprising. Any time you have elected officials, you will have favoritism in their decision making processes. They are after all, human, they represent their own companies and I'm sure most hope to do a great job of representing everyone, (did I mention they are human)?

I've too have had a few chats and emails between Tom Ingram and myself discussing Bucket List Scuba and how to get DEMA to participate in assisting our company in finding divers for the entire industry and not just a select few and have been told that "first contact with the consumer" is not allowed per DEMA rules.

Due to this answer, Bucket List Scuba had to set our services up to be a "member only" organization instead of free for anyone that signs up with us so we could re-coup some of our expenses and find new divers for everyone. We've paid a healthy sum to be listed on over 30 web sites.

I'm of the mind that until or unless someone proves that the DEMA board have used funds to promote select companies, they must be making decisions that benefit all DEMA members. Yes, I know; it's very precious of me to be so naieve, but that's all we have, speculation and rumor. I've lived long enough to know that when you get worked up without proof, in most cases, you've wasted lots of energy.

As to why Sunset House, PADI or Delta were selected to participate, I'll assume they all three offered funding to produce and promote the video and to have it aired on flights. I know that some have very large advertising budgets, it's my guess they've used part of their budget in this project.

I'll also assume DEMA participated in a part of the funding for the project, but I don't know that for sure, but I know the statement was made to me that they (DEMA) are taking their "Be a Diver" message to consumers via airlines. (Would that be first contact with a consumer?) What ever the case, I hope DEMA does more of it. After seeing the video, love the message, understand the anger from other DEMA member companies not listed.

Vote next year when it's time and hope you get equitable leadership if you are unhappy with the current DEMA board. And remember, you know what ass...uming can do for someone! Been there, done that, got the shirt! debbie@diveracquisitions.com

Last edited:
I find this thread disturbing, but not surprising. Any time you have elected officials, you will have favoritism in their decision making processes. They are after all, human, they represent their own companies and I'm sure most hope to do a great job of representing everyone, (did I mention they are human)?

An open, transparent system helps poor corruptible humans avoid temptation.

I'll also assume DEMA participated in a part of the funding for the project, but I don't know that for sure, but I know the statement was made to me that they (DEMA) are taking their "Be a Diver" message to consumers via airlines. (Would that be first contact with a consumer?) What ever the case, I hope DEMA does more of it. After seeing the video, love the message, understand the anger from other DEMA member companies not listed.

Vote next year when it's time and hope you get equitable leadership of you are unhappy with the current DEMA board. And remember, you know what ass...uming can do for someone! Been there, done that, got the shirt! debbie@diveracquisitions.com

Why, as a dues paying member, should I have to settle for a stonewall? Just tell the members where the money goes and what favors are being dispensed. That's hardly too much to ask.

It's perfectly reasonable to assume that Silence = Inequitable, indefensible behavior.

People and organizations seldom clam up when they are doing the right thing. In todays world they tend to hold news conferences so they can buff their halo's in public.

Tobin

Curiouser and curiouser...

Expect litigation to arise out of this issue. It appears at least two groups are planning civil action, <snip> edited on advice of counsel.

Last edited:
Curiouser and curiouser...

Expect litigation to arise out of this issue. It appears at least two groups are planning civil action, and I just got off of the phone with some peeps from the great State of California.

them peeps have official sounding job titles???:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom